CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM
scorsone

Default A Wiki or Glossery for Greywalker?

Hey everybody, I just picked up "Mean Streets" which I have to say is very good. Great to be reading Harper Blaine again and Kat's story is much-much better than the boring book I just pushed my way through and finished.

But as I was reading Mean Streets, I couldn't help but wonder with everything going on, locations, characters and their descriptions and histories; that it might be helpful to readers to have a goto place for a quick summary of things and people in the Greywalker world.

If not a Wiki, then perhaps a portion of Kat's website or a sticky on the board.

KB
Old 07-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Harper

I'd be thrilled if you guys wanted to start making a list of terms and definitions. I'm kind of busy at the moment, alas--came home from Comic Con with a cold and a backload of work to catch up to.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Hagelrat

so if we create a glossary here, will the webgoblins sneak in and transfer it to your site?
Nice idea Scorsone.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Anthraxus

I think this is a great idea. I've taken the liberty of creating the Greywalker wiki over at wikia. http://greywalker.wikia.com/wiki/Greywalker_Wiki#

Feel free to jump in and look around. I've created some base pages, but don't have any real content up there yet.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Harper

this is really nifty! I'm about 92% done on the next book and I'm having the website redesigned, so I'm not really able to contribute right now but I'll see what I can do about a link when the site is finished.

thanks Anthraxus--this is really nice!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Hagelrat

Anthraxus, nice! so how do you want us to do this? contribute here and you'll edit it in or edit direct in wiki (I have no idea how to use wiki btw)?
Can we add a comprehensive & chronological list of Greywalker stories id'ing which are novels and which are short stories (hoping for more short stories coz the little clay dog was wonderful.)?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Anthraxus

Thank you for the compliments, everybody.

As far as what I think the best editing strategy would be... I think the easiest thing would be to have anyone interested in contributing to register an account with wikia and just put in what ever they are going to do. I (and anyone else interested) will act as moderator and regularly sweep the recent changes to verify what is being put up, and do wiki specific tagging.

For those new to wikis, they are very, very easy to edit or contribute too. On the most simplistic level, if you go to a page and click the "Edit this page" link on the upper left, you can directly add/edit text on the page. There will be an accordion box on the left of the edit page that gives a quick overview of various common wiki tags (i.e. === for Header notes, '' for italics, etc.) The most important (I feel) tag when making a wiki entry is the double bracket [[]]. That tag is what creates a link to another page in the wiki. For instance:

[[Harper Blaine]] is a private investigator in [[Seattle]]

would create a link to the Harper Blaine page and the Seattle page within the wiki.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask.

EDIT: Additionally you can use a pipe "|" within that link tag to have a link to one page with a display text of something else. i.e. [[Harper Blaine | Harper]] will like to the Harper Blaine page, but will show Harper as the link text.

Last edited by Anthraxus; 10-14-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Hagelrat

Okies, will have a go over the weekend.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Anthraxus

Looking forward to your contributions Hagelrat. Anything anyone can put in about Vanished would be great, as that is the book I don't have yet.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Anthraxus

Still chugging along with the wiki. I've got the base information for all of the books up there, and a good entry for Old Possum's. a few others here and there, and I'm planning on adding a bunch of character templates soon.

If anyone else wants to help contribute, feel free to just jump in.