CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Little dog in a big world

Cranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to behold
Question Mold in olive oil bottle?

There's something growing inside my bottle of olive oil.

It looks like mold on the side of the bottle and a little mound of it on the bottom. Most of it is still submerged by the oil. If I shake the bottle, little pieces seem to float inside it.

So what the heck is it? I can't seem to find any relevant info on Google.

I'll throw it out just to be safe, but I'm quite curious. It's been stored in a dark cool place all along and doesn't smell rancid. I'll probably keep my oil refrigerated from now on once the bottle is opened.

Cranky Dog
"I have a moldy oil opinion, international!"
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should suspect that maybe that olive oil isn't virgin...

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Drowning in Words

Zayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant future

It's probably not mold.

From Napa Valley Naturals:

Quote:

How do I know if the product is still good?
What is the product's shelf life?

We recommend using oils within two years of their bottling. Olive oil and grapeseed oil will both maintain their freshness longer if stored in a cool, dark place. Storage in the refrigerator is not recommended. Olive oil will become cloudy and solid and may combine with condensation from the refrigerator. This condensation could negatively affect the taste of the olive oil. Our vinegars have any unlimited shelf life.

Why is my olive oil cloudy and thick?

Cool temperatures cause the waxy esters in extra virgin olive oil to solidify. This often happens in the winter, in cool stores or after refrigeration. To return the olive oil to its clear state, warm a pan of water and set the bottle in the pan or leave the olive oil at room temperature.

Why does my olive oil have dark sediment at the bottom of the bottle?

Dark brown residue is likely pieces of the fruit of the olive in the oil. Many extra virgin olive oils are unfiltered so tiny pieces of the fruit of the olive often end up at the bottom of bottles since they are heavier than the oil. If the oil doesn't smell rancid or taste bad, then it's likely not a problem. Sediment is natural and normal in 100% unfiltered olive oils. It tends to look like very dark oil at the bottom of bottles. Shake up the bottle and see if it dissipates.

Bhuta ia; dewa ia. (Man is a demon; man is a god.)