CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

View Poll Results: WOuld you want there to be a Greywalker television series?
Yes 5 83.33%
No 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road
Default Greywalker tv series

So does anyone have an opinion on this idea? Other than Supernatural, great show, there really isn't an urban fantasy series on television these days and Greywalker seems like it would be a good pick for an adaptation. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas for short one hour stories involving Harper. I mean I'd love to see something like The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog every week. It'd be fantastic.

I'd watch it as long as two things could be assured during it's production. First it cannot have anything at all to do with the Sci Fi channel since that is a death blow for anything and they're very lazy. Second it must find a Harper that is true to the book's character, not some model they slap the name onto.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 AM
ImzadiDragonfly

No. I have no faith They wouldn't screw it up. Or maybe I have all the faith in the world that They will screw it up. I'm still heart broken with what the fools did to Earthsea.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

I was ticked over the Dresden Files show. I never read the Earthsea books so I could enjoy that a litle bit more than fans of the series did, the early parts were my favorite though it went downhill quick.

Last edited by Sakutian; 01-17-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Harper

It's not up to me, really. Someone would have to make an offer that was good and that means not just money but a lot of other things. So far that hasn't happened, though there are always things happening behind the scenes I don't any solid information about to report. But regardless, there is one thing you have to bear in mind: a recurring weekly series would necessarily be different from the books. They can't follow the same development arc and a TV show can't have the same degree of life-changing effects that the books have or Harper would become an all-powerful annoyance way too quickly. Series episodes would have to deal with much smaller, less intimate problems most of the time.

I asked Jim Butcher how he felt about the Dresden Files TV show at one point and he said that no matter what happened within the context of TV or the show it would always have one wonderful thing going for it: it was a weekly commercial for his books that introduced a whole new group of potential readers to his characters. So from an author's POV, this is a case of "any publicity is good publicity."

And no, I really don't have anyone in mind for any parts if anyone should ask. I just don't think of the characters that way.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Hagelrat

I loved the Dresden Files series, I love the books more, but I am one of the people who would never have discovered the books without the series. I think any film or series related to a series of books is more enjoyable if you can go into it knowing it will be different and separate the two in your head.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
But regardless, there is one thing you have to bear in mind: a recurring weekly series would necessarily be different from the books. They can't follow the same development arc and a TV show can't have the same degree of life-changing effects that the books have or Harper would become an all-powerful annoyance way too quickly. Series episodes would have to deal with much smaller, less intimate problems most of the time.
That's sort of what I was thinking too. I realize every week can't be a Greywalker novel and it wouldn't be fair to expect that. But it'd be fun to see the characters adapted to a new setting. Smaller less initmate problems sound good though maybe break those up with a season finale that's a bit bigger.

On the Dresden Files note I'll say this I was excited about the show and it was actually pretty good. But it wasn't the Dresden Files in anything but name which I think turned some of the books fans off to it. Still I'm glad Jim Butcher got the exposure and it brought new people in and got them interested in his books. I'd say more about it because I do have more reasons but I don't want to set anyone off.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
ImzadiDragonfly

I freely admit that if it did become a series I would be happy to watch it and give it a fair chance.

I think with the right screen writer and director it could work.

You know, part of me thinks the Harry Potter movies would have been able to stick closer to the books if each book had been a mini-series. More time to tell the story and keep them closer to the books.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakutian View Post
I was ticked over the Dresden Files show. I never read the Earthsea books so I could enjoy that a litle bit more than fans of the series did, the early parts were my favorite though it went downhill quick.
Other than the Storm Front episode (which was botched, IMO) the Dresden tv show was fairly well done. No, it wasn't the books, but the writing was good, and it kept the feel of the books fairly well. Sci-Fi channel productions have botched many a book-to-show production, including my least favorite, Riverworld. If they ever announce an Amber set, I will have to study bomb-making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinja View Post
Other than the Storm Front episode (which was botched, IMO) the Dresden tv show was fairly well done. No, it wasn't the books, but the writing was good, and it kept the feel of the books fairly well. Sci-Fi channel productions have botched many a book-to-show production, including my least favorite, Riverworld. If they ever announce an Amber set, I will have to study bomb-making.
The show was well done but they just changed too much for me to really accept it as Dresden you know? I'm sorry if that makes me picky but thats just the way it is. There was no blue beetle, no duster, no mouse, no mister, no basement apartment, no classic detective office, and all the other little changes.

I give Sci Fi credit for The Adventures of Screw-On Head though which was an out of the park home run... even if they did decide not to make it a show and went with doing just a thirty minute pilot.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
whitetrash

I'm not to hype bout a t.v show look what they did to Jim Butchers sereis