CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Harper

You'll only have to cycle the slide if the slide is not already locked back. Generally I leave the breach open once the mag is exhausted and just squeeze the lever once the new mag is in place. I'm lazy. I only cycle the slide on that puppy when I'm checking it, or when it's been in storage.

I am also a gun nut (I used the phrase for ease, not because I actually think any of us are nuts. I like firearms, but I respect them.) I'm amused by the stories of P7s decocking being "mistaken" for a dry/misfire. The sounds are completely different to my ears, and I have had plenty of luck with reducing the volume of the "click" on release by just letting go a little more gradually. It's not that loud really. Did I say it was? I apologize. It's a distinctive sound, but unless you're really in a hurry it's not horrendously loud. (Mines an M8, just to be clear--the M13 was a bit out of my price range, even used.)
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Harper

And don't get me started on those movie "silencers" that are the side of a roll of quarters....

The unfortunate thing about guns in Western Society is that they've become fetishized to the degree that they are almost magical in some people's minds--they seem to believe that just having a gun makes them The Man (or Evil depending on your political bent), and that they are easy to use when turned sideways, and that Glocks are made of porcelain, etc.... Most people who've never handled one believe what they see on TV and in the movies, which are usually wildly inaccurate. I really try to keep my descriptions of gun handling accurate. I've had to cut the concussive effects and deafness issues down a bit to satisfy plot necessities, but I'm still wrestling with those issues and making an effort to do this stuff right in print. Few people notice but it's worth trying.

My husband would kick my ass if I didn't.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about guns but I don't think wonign one makes you a man or evil. They get a lot of bad press in my book. They're just a tool and are only as good or bad as the person holding them. That said I try not to believe too much of what I see in fiction unless I know it's making an effort to be realistic, like in Greywalker for example.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Strongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
You'll only have to cycle the slide if the slide is not already locked back. Generally I leave the breach open once the mag is exhausted and just squeeze the lever once the new mag is in place. I'm lazy. I only cycle the slide on that puppy when I'm checking it, or when it's been in storage.

I am also a gun nut (I used the phrase for ease, not because I actually think any of us are nuts. I like firearms, but I respect them.) I'm amused by the stories of P7s decocking being "mistaken" for a dry/misfire. The sounds are completely different to my ears, and I have had plenty of luck with reducing the volume of the "click" on release by just letting go a little more gradually. It's not that loud really. Did I say it was? I apologize. It's a distinctive sound, but unless you're really in a hurry it's not horrendously loud. (Mines an M8, just to be clear--the M13 was a bit out of my price range, even used.)
I'd rather use an M8 because of size...I have small hands relative to my size.

If you reach a finger up into the area between the bottom rear of the trigger guard and the cocking lever (when it's cocked), you can press in and hold as you release the cocking lever and there will be no "click" as it decocks.

Last edited by Strongman; 03-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Strongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakutian View Post
They're just a tool and are only as good or bad as the person holding them.
Yup...although the following concern rifles specifically, they can encompass firearms in general:

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

A gun is a tool like any other, given moral weight solely by the person that uses it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Ive known computers and cars which were clearly evil aligned, I wouldnt be to surprised to meet an evil gun

And printers as a rule are the hands of darkness
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Ok, I'll give you Lexmark printers as evil.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

Printers are evil and I've yet to meet one I like.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
I'd rather use an M8 because of size...I have small hands relative to my size.

If you reach a finger up into the area between the bottom rear of the trigger guard and the cocking lever (when it's cocked), you can press in and hold as you release the cocking lever and there will be no "click" as it decocks.
Cool. That's a trick I'd never heard. Thanks.

I find both guns easy enough to hold but the geometry is definitely different on the M13, but with the narrowing at the top it's not too big for my small thumb web to accomodate--which is a problem with a lot of double-column autos. Harper got the bigger gun because she has massive paw-like hands.