CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road
Default Gun Stuff

Firearms are featured pretty prominently in most urban fantasy series but there's a great deal of misinoformation about them so I though tit might beusueful to have a thread about them for questions and sharing of general information. It'd be great if we could ask about Harper's firearms experience and her personal equipment from time to time.

I'll just get the ball rolling, does anyone know if guns fire underwater? I've heard both yes and no from different people on this one.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Yes, a gun can physically fire underwater.

No, it's not a good idea.
No, it's not effective.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._reopened.html
http://www.wired.com/science/discove...nderwater_guns
Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Thanks that's one question out of the way.

Does anyone remember what kind of gunHarper is using by the way? I know it's in the books but I don't have my copies with me right now so I can't check them for the answer.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

From what I understand, most guns (modern ones) can be fired underwater, but it's not good on the gun and increases the chance of a misfire.

I think Harper uses a 9mm gun? That seems to be the popular caliber for handguns in urban fantasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

9mm sounds right, seems like it's either that or the good old shotgun for urban fantasy. I'd go with the shotgun. It looks more fun and it's louder in movies. There was this one scene in The Dresden Files where Kincaid just fires off incendiary rounds at these red court vampires, but they warp the barrel so he keeps tossing them away and pulling out another one after each shot. It was cool in that action movie way.

Last edited by Sakutian; 03-05-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Harper

With respect to shooting underwater, a lot depends on the gun in question and the cartridges as to whether the gun will work at all, work only once, or ignore the issue. But regardless, the ballistics of firearms in air don't translate to water very well. They are firearms after all and a chemical reaction that produces a controlled explosion is the basis of how they work. Mix fire with water and you usually just get wet.

As to Harper's gun, it is a specific 9mm semiautomatic pistol which gun nuts will recognize since it has a "cocking lever" and is described as cocking when squeezed and "decocking" when released with a distinct clicking sound. It's an HK P7M13. The artists have never painted the right gun, they tend to go for standard Berettas and Colts. My UK publisher's latest cover features a revolver that looks about .38 caliber. None of these are the right gun.

Here's the actual item:

The metal piece in front of the grip and behind the trigger loop is the cocking lever. As you exert pressure on it, it cocks the gun and the gun stays cocked so long as you maintain 2lbs of grip pressure. When you let go, it "decocks" the gun, placing a metal bar between the striker and the firing pin so the gun cannot fire. It's damn near foolproof and very safe, also very fast to use, since you don't have to "jack" the slide back to cock the gun and move the first round into the chamber.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I like Harper's gun it fits her somehow, it's a shame that it doesn't get featured on the covers. I can't talk though. My guns only ever look like hair dryers and desert eagles. I can draw those pretty weel for some reason.

Random question but can you put a silencer on a 9mm? Or are they not even loud enough for that to be a thought? Sorry I know nothing about guns in the least.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Strongman

Yes, you can suppress a 9mm handgun and yes, they are certainly loud enough for it to matter. Best to use subsonic ammunition if you actually want it to be nothing more than the sound of the slide cycling...otherwise you get the supersonic "crack" of the bullet moving through the air which is certainly less noisy but still not to the level of stealthy silence that people think suppressors work at.

Last edited by Strongman; 03-06-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm looking at YOU

BattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond repute

As a note, there are some guns designed specifically to fire underwater (like the Russian APS).
Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Strongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
It's damn near foolproof and very safe, also very fast to use, since you don't have to "jack" the slide back to cock the gun and move the first round into the chamber.
I guess I qualify as a "gun nut"...

To clarify, a P7's slide does need to be cycled to chamber a round, like all semi-auto pistol designs.

Also, when de-cocking, you can manipulate the gun in such a manner as to de-cock it quietly, without the (rather loud) noise that it makes when you do it normally.