CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Harper

How could you tell the difference?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
ImzadiDragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
How could you tell the difference?
Ha! Excellent point.

I'm really looking forward to learning about ferrets and the grey.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
scorsone

I'm new to the site but just wanted to add that I like the covers for Greywalker and Poltergeist. I think the model that posed for them is whom I would imagine Harper to be and it shouldn't be changed! Really I kept imagining a Michelle Ryan type throughout the book.

Underground is the cover that I'm not particularlly fond of. To grainy and I don't know whether or not that's the same model, but Harper's looking kind of haggard and a bit aged if you ask me.

But keep the model, and I love the somewhat grainy texture of the covers. Just not the way she appears in Underground.

KB
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Harper

I want my books to sell to France so I can see what they do with them. Most of the French covers I've seen for Urban Fantasy are slightly cartoon-like and artistic. I'd love to see what they come up with.

Acutally I'd like to see the actual Russian cover--I've never seen that one or the Romanian ones at all.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

I'm curious - why don't they use the same cover art for international versions? Why does the image have to be different in every single country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinja View Post
I'm curious - why don't they use the same cover art for international versions? Why does the image have to be different in every single country?
Licensing. The publishing house owns rights to the cover design and the artist owns rights to the art, but only for non-cover purposes (sometimes until a certain time, when he gets it all back, but it's complicated...) Anyhow, the upshot is that if a licensed foreign translation wants to use the same art, they have to get permission and a license from the original publisher and an additional license from the artist. That's usually very pricey and a royal pain in the ass.

In addition, different cultures have different ideas of what's acceptable, or evocative, or sexy, or... fill in the blank. So the marketing people get into the picture and make a lot of noise about what's going to sell in their market and that effects the cover also.

On that note, my Complex Chinese (Taiwanese) edition is being re-released with a new cover that's more traditionally "Chinese" than the original. Why i don't know, but I'd suspect the modern art cover they did the first time didn't really pull readers.

original cover:

(sorry about the crappy photography on cover #1...)

new cover:
Old 02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I dig the new covers, they're spooky, especially that bottom one. It sort of looks like a poster for a horror movie.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
ImzadiDragonfly

Oh, I like the new cover much better than the original. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind the print hanging on my wall. The original cover kind of reminds of sci/fi covers from the 60s and 70s.