CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Ginger Lewis

Default Other Undergrounds

I started reading Underground yesterday and I'm already halfway through, but it's got me wondering about other cities that have their own Underground.

A decade or so ago I wrote and ran a Vampire:Masquerade RPG campaign set in Manchester UK, where I live, and a feature of the story was part of Manchester's own underground. There is for certain a network of canal tunnels for transporting goods to and from the warehouses and cotton-mills; these tunnels are still there and many still navigable, or walkable along the towpaths. Over the past decade or so there has been a great deal of work done to restore and re-open some of the canals. There is also rumoured to be a former government-owned complex beneath the city centre, which was either constructed, or adapted from some previous excavation, to be an air raid shelter during WW2. Supposedly during the Cold War this complex was used as a communication centre, and it's certain that in the 1980s it was used by British Telecom as a telephone exchange. In my story there were vampires inhabiting the underground tunnels and using them to travel unseen across the city.

So I'm curious.... what other cities besides Seattle and Manchester (and obvious ones like London and New York) have their own Undergrounds? Is there one where you live? Does your city have a story beneath it's streets?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Mr Orange Monkey

The big underground tunnel in Manchester is still used by BT, or it was maybe four-five years ago when it caught fire and buggered my internet access for the best part of a week... There's a slimmish volume (we got our copy from Urbis, probably) that lists all the not-totally-obscure tunnel under Manchester but comes to the conclusion that most of them didn't go where everyone thought they did and have been successsfully hidden now.

I only realised a few months back that the Mersey is still flowing under the Merseyway shopping centre (I'm very slow to catch on to some things, obviously)

Exeter has some tunnels that are part of a water supply system but had dark tales of ghosts and buried treasure and so on. The one time we visited Exeter they were shut, which was annoying.
(http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2914)

Liverpool's got those weird job-creation scheme tunnels, with a section open to visitors. (http://www.williamsontunnels.com)
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

There are probabaly a ton of undergrounds considering the number of bome shelters that were built years ago. Heck my high school had one that was supposedly big enough to house over a thousand people so it must have been pretty big. There are a ton of metro/subway systems too maybe not on the New York scale but they're all pretty big in their own rights D.C.'s sreves as one example. You could probably count all fo the mines we've dug over the years too.

This might count as an obvious one but there are the catacombs in paris...and there is nothing on earth that would get me to go down there.

Last edited by Sakutian; 01-20-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Harper

Chicago has a rather famous underground which includes a near-copy of the infamous Seattle underground "comfort station". Portland Oregon also has an underground in the old, river port section of town which is usually referred to as "The Shanghai Tunnels" for the propensity of unscrupulous tavern keepers allowing drunks to be drugged or knocked on the head and dragged off through the basements and tunnels to become the unwilling crews of seagoing ships.

There are more, but those are the ones I'm familiar with that aren't just underground malls.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

There's a large tunnel complex under the Disney Magic Kingdom in Orlando.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Stockholm in Sweden has a very extensive subwaynet. There are also lots of tunnels there if I recall correctly. Or you can go the route of the town Kiruna (way up north in Sweden). The whole town lies atop a huge active mine. In fact they actually have to move parts of the town as the ground is starting to collapse due to all the mining.

In Australia, you have a whole town that is dug out beneath ground. Can't remember the name though.

/Magnus
Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Ginger Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange Monkey View Post
The big underground tunnel in Manchester is still used by BT, or it was maybe four-five years ago when it caught fire and buggered my internet access for the best part of a week... There's a slimmish volume (we got our copy from Urbis, probably) that lists all the not-totally-obscure tunnel under Manchester but comes to the conclusion that most of them didn't go where everyone thought they did and have been successsfully hidden now.
I'm pretty sure that the renovation of Picadillly Gardens either closed it entirely or sealed up a good portion of it. There's no longer an access point where the old public toilets used to be.

What's the title and author of that book? I'd like to get a copy.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Mr Orange Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lewis View Post
I'm pretty sure that the renovation of Picadillly Gardens either closed it entirely or sealed up a good portion of it. There's no longer an access point where the old public toilets used to be.

What's the title and author of that book? I'd like to get a copy.
Wouldn't you know that a book about underground tunnels would be at the very bottom of a large pile? Anyway it's very imaginatively titled 'Underground Manchester', it's by Keith Warrender, and its ISBN is 978-0-946361-41-0.

According to Mr Warrender, the manned telephone exchanges in the 'Guardian' tunnel were closed in the 1970s, but BT still has 44 cables each with 24 fibre optic cables running through the tunnels; apparently the importance of these cables is their excuse for not opening Guardian as a tourist attraction. The big cable fire was in March 2004, and there was a big security flap when someone broke into the Salford end of the tunnels just after the failed bomb attempts in London in July 2005.

Can I just mention here my favourite road sign?

< HACK GREEN SECRET BUNKER