CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road
Default Vanished Conjecture

Since most of us won't get to read Vanished until august I thought that it might be fun for everyone to make some guesses about what might happen in the new book. Plus it gives me a chance to use the word conjecture. All that we really know so far is it's set in london and Harper is in it so that leaves some room for theory.

I'm excited to see the difference in the grey between Seattle and London, I mean it's going to have to be pretty drastic. London is more than a few centuries older so it's only logical to assume there are going to be a great many more ghosts hanging around. On top of that, and more interesting in my opinion, is the way that these spirits wound up among the deceased.

London has been witness to some really terrible moments in humanity the black plague, the great fire, the blitz, the killing spree of Jack the Ripper, and any number of other rather unpleasant deaths. Poor Harper I have a feeling she's going to be seeing ghosts unlike anything that has ever crossed her path before.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

If Harper runs into the replay of Jack the Ripper, I suspect I'll find it almost a little anti-climactic. I will enjoy seeing her take on any of the more famous places in London - Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Tower - as well as the sites of more recent tragedies, like the subway bombings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Thing One

Good point Sakutian!
There have been settlements of people in the general area of London since pre=history.
Seattle is a really young place.

I think Harper would have gone insane if she had started into the Grey in London.

In the Mean Streets novella, she goes to Mexico and sees a TON of older layers,
but still, London may just send her to a new place. I could feel the age just
standing in the graveyards. What you say about the Plague - and what about WWII bombings? And the Great Fire? If I were Harper, I would totally take old maps with me, or I would expect to get terribly lost.

And more conjecture - wasn't Will last in London? Do you think she is going off to help him with something? What would happen with him back in her life? It wouldn't be safe for Quinton to travel....

And what will happen to Harper when new vampires enter her life? I bet London is chock full of them - bad stuff!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I'm holding out some hopes that Will will make an appearance in London, I'd be sad if he was just totally out of the series forever. Plus it might be fun to toss some doubt onto Harper's relationship with Quinton mwahaha!

English vampires would probably have a good deal over there, it seems to always be dark or overcast so they could stay out more.

*Gasp* What about Chaos?! I wonder if Harper will be able to bring her dear little ferret sidekick across the pond with her?

Last edited by Sakutian; 01-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Harper

Oh... I'm so staying out of this one....
Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Darn I was hoping for a slip of the tongue.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Hagelrat

:
London has masses of mythology from various time speriods and is a really rich setting for a book. I love the City so much I don't even care what happens, I just want to know what Harper thinks of the place.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

So I peered into British mythology a bit, not really my area of expertise, and have come up with three possible culprits for the role of monster in london. The prime suspects are revenants which according to legend are a visible ghost or an animated corpse that returns fromt eh dead to attack living people. Secondly are the Sceadugenga who are neithe rliving or dead and can shape shift, although they apprently prefer forests. I'm guessing they may have been forced to make do with cities in these modern times, they're like pigeons haha. Lastly Wariths which are supposedly apparitions of living or dead people, sometimes with sharp fingernails, they are seen as omens and spirits of vengeance.

All three sound neat to me, I'm kind of hoping one will find their way into the new book.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I just had a thought of something that might come up in the next book, or one in the series anyway. Most other urban fantasy books have some sort of rule that normal people aren't allowed to learn about the fantasy/magical elements except under a very limited list of circumstances. Usually there happens to be a council or governing bodies that enforce this rule. Greywalker doesn't really seem to have one though or at least there hasn't been any mention of them up until now. The only thing that prevents Harper from telling everyone about vampires, ghosts, and magic is that most people would think she is insane or just ignore her.

Now I was thinking since she's going to London that England is a pretty likely spot for some sort of Greywalker/Magic control board to exist if ever there was one. It's a very old city in a a country with an exceedingly lenghty history, that has had dealings with pretty much every other group of people in tehw rold at one point or another. At one point or another Brtian pretty much ruled the regular world so whose to say they wouldn't make a try for the magical as well?

Now if such a thing exists I'd imagine they tightly control who is allowed to have abilities like Harper and what they're allowed to do with them. I don't think they'd like some of what she's chosen to do in the least, and there would probably be a confrontation.

Just a thought though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Maryd_2_explosives

That would make sence, they are more apt to believing in psycics and the paraormal than we are here in the states. Also, I wonder what, if any, pary Ben, will play in this one. This would be a perfect venue for his expertiise.