CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
ImzadiDragonfly

That makes sense, Akuma.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Akuma

Thanks lol. so any more monster physics' theories? I mean, think of what length the Guardians of the grey can protect their plane of existence? If they harm Harper then what could they do with someone like a necromancer? The guardians are not dead technically, just beings from the other side. Unless that is wrong? Help me out Harper lol
Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Harper

Oh but I can't tell you that right now... Book 5 is in the works and the secrets of the Guardians, as well as a lot of vampire info will be the core of that book. But what I will say is that some Grey things aren't quite dead and some are... well... kind of alive and thinking--a lot.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Akuma

thanks lol now i am too curious lmao.... cant wait for it!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Anthraxus

I was going to post a similar idea to Alchemist's, although I was just thinking of shunting the mass exchange into the Grey, as opposed to having a complete swap out. I agree that his idea is better and quite evocative in the thought of how a Grey "native" entity would be able to interact with the Grey side of the Were.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
TheDuckmanCometh

Default A newbie puts his two cents in...

Can't wait to find out more about exactly WHAT the Guardian of the Grey actually is...

Okay, I'd like to address several topics discussed here in previous posts:

Time travel: to my recollection, Harper never actually travelled back in time, only sifted through shadowy imprints of history left in the Grey. She didn't actually step back out of the Grey into the time period in question (otherwise, in this last book she would have gotten a lot more details out of the secretary she questioned, but she was only talking to a ghost, not the real person from the past)

Werewolves: There is a way around a lot of Quinton’s reasons for why werewolves can’t exist. If you assume that there is indeed some supernatural component to the monsters in Harper’s universe, rather than a viral infection or something that makes you a vampire, wererhino or whatever, then these are beings that sort of straddle the line between the everyday world and the Grey, but in a different way from how Harper does it. Harper crosses between the two but is usually pretty definitely within one or the other, while vampires and our supposed werewolves have parts of themselves on either side simultaneously, all the time. This partial existence in the Grey may explain a vampire’s ability to manipulate it better than someone like Harper, because part of them lives there or even originates there (the bite of a vampire, perhaps, allowing that portion of the Grey to invade the victim or something… somehow, they’ve basically got a foot firmly on each side of the line). In a similar, less controllable way, a werewolf might therefore also straddle that line, and the energy required to rapidly transform a human into a wolf, either fully or into a hulking lycan, comes from the Grey itself. The process would be excruciatingly painful, which might drive the werewolf mad with the pain and shock, and the waste heat might be shared between the physical body and the entity that exists in the Grey, acting almost like a metaphysical heat sink, keeping the physical body from simply bursting into flames. Either that, or the entity that lives in the Grey is actually the werewolf half itself, and the "transformation" is really the Grey entity swapping places with the human in our world. There wouldn't be a huge energy transfer, just a revolving door.

Harper the destroyer: I don’t really think of Harper as a monster, except in her capacity as a destroyer of all things Grey. In the same way a lumbering brute like an ogre or giant might be considered a monster by those whose home was destroyed or whose family was stepped upon by a clumsy oaf who didn’t look where he was going or sat down on something it shouldn’t have, Harper’s relative inexperience with dealing with Grey matters and the dead leads her to handle things with slightly less finesse than, say, certain vampires of her acquaintance, whose affinity for the Grey plus a couple hundred extra years of practice give them a leg up on her. She dismantled that one dead guy with filaments of Grey tangled in him as an act of kindness – the fact that she was witnessed by someone who wasn't prepared to see it made her feel monstrous, but she doesn't go and do evil things with her ability, and is not a destructive force without reason, so I can't really lump her in with the rest of the monsters. She's just different.

Bad witches: Well, why not? Only thing is that the only witch we know is Mara, and it almost seems that in the Greywalker universe, witches are actually kind of rare, so the chances that a witch like Mara and a black arts practitioner living in the same city are pretty remote. To have a whole coven of them to cause trouble would be even less likely, unless they gathered for some event (Cauldron-con? Actually, I kind of like that… a whole convention for the black arts at the SeaTac Best Western)

Norse gods: Nah, I don’t think gods or ultra-powerful beings should come into play; Harper would either have to become a lot more powerful herself, or she’d have to outsmart a god somehow, and that just seems a little too tricky to bother with. However, the various mythologies of the world have a lot of lower-level monsters to play with without having to lean too heavily on the tried-and-true standby’s of vampires, werewolves, mummies, etc. Since Edward’s old associates from Europe have been causing him problems, if the current story arc has potential to extend beyond Labyrinth, you could have some of those old associates show up in Seattle to pay him a visit and bring some Old World monsters along as muscle. Blemiyeh (headless men) perhaps? (think they’re Welsh or Irish) Or maybe some sort of gargoyle?

Just some things I've been thinking about in order to avoid doing actual work...

Last edited by TheDuckmanCometh; 11-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.