CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Greywalker novel?
Greywalker 4 44.44%
Poltergeist 1 11.11%
Underground 2 22.22%
Other 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Greywalker Novel

In the interest of generating some conversation on here a simple question is offered. Please name your favorite Greywalker book and if you feel so inclined explain why that particular book is your favorite. Oh and if there happens to be a Harper short story or novella that's your favorite then cast your vote for that one.

As for me I'm going to have to say that Underground is my favorite currently followed closely by Greywalker. Underground won out for two reasons those being that the vampires were pulled back just a bit to make room for a more interesting enemy in this case Sisiutl. The second factor was that this wasn't the first book so there wasn't as much need to explain things. The Greywalker Will will always beat the Underground version hands down though.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Hagelrat

I love them all but Greywalker is still my favourite. Although the writing keeps getting better and the characters keep getting more complex the idea was just so novel and the whole book and concept were deliciously fresh and exciting. I loved Poltergeist because everyone really started to develop and I loved Underground because it moved into more unusual territory and as a Brit, unfamiliar mythology.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelrat View Post
I love them all but Greywalker is still my favourite. Although the writing keeps getting better and the characters keep getting more complex the idea was just so novel and the whole book and concept were deliciously fresh and exciting. I loved Poltergeist because everyone really started to develop and I loved Underground because it moved into more unusual territory and as a Brit, unfamiliar mythology.
I'm hesitant to admit this because I don't want to upset anyone but Poltergeist made me want to stop reading the series. Honestly after that one I just set the book down and kind of filed it away. I picked up Underground for some reason unknown even to me, I'm flighty. Obviously I'm glad I did because that book broguth me firmly back under the Greywalker banner but yeah. The cover for Poltergeist is my favorite of all the books so far though.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Harper

I, of course, always like the one that's newest....

It's funny, Poltergeist is a lot of people's least-favorite book. It sells the worst and it knocked some Fantasy fans out of the series (but at the same time it pulled a lot of Mystery fans into the series so it's not a dog.) It had a lot of hard marks to hit and it had one big, horrible thing against it: it's the second book. It'll never be the exciting new idea that Greywalker was, it's much more a detective book than a fantasy thriller, it's got a lot of characters who aren't likeable, and I had to deliver in a year, rather than the five years I had on Greywalker. (Though it does have one of my favorite minor characters in it. No, I'm not saying who.)

I'd wanted to do that particular story for a long time. Maybe it was stale by the time I got to it.... I still like the book and I think it's not bad, but it's not as magical as Greywalker or as well-written as Underground.

And frankly, none of them are as good as the novella or as Vanished is going to be.

Underground was very hard to write, and Vanished has been a nightmare due to a lot of outside issues. But I always hope to write a better book than the last one. Sometimes that is a subjective "better" however. In terms of craft, Poltergeist is better written than Greywalker, but if you don't enjoy it, craft doesn't matter very much, does it?

I'm always interested to find out why something works or doesn't work from a reader's perspective. I am way too close to the material to be objective. Let's see where else this conversation goes.... this is fun!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Honestly I can't quite remember what I didn't like about Poltergeist, flipping through it now I can't even find it. I was sad that Will wasn't in it because I really like dhim in the first book but aside from that I can't quite place it. Maybe I'll read through it again this evening because now it's picking at me.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
nerdgirl

Default Greywalker

Greywalker is my favourite so far. I think it is because it was new and refreshing and it really pulled me in. Like biting into an apple, the whole thing is really good but the first bite is the most flavourful.
Poltergeist is my least favourite although I too don't know why. I was flipping through it last night and I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it is time for a re-read.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Thing One

Greywalker blew my socks off. It was just so original and daring.
I mean, we were there when Harper DIED. OMG!

And experiencing the Grey with Harper just as she sees it - amazing.

I loved the Jamaican family in Poltergeist - it was good to see more of Harper's other friends.

Poltergeist was hard, since it was about negative energy and was chock full of awful people who created something bad. But it has Rhino boy, and Quinton, and one hell of an amazing ending.

Underground was great - though i wish more than anything that there had been a MAP included - so what if the book doesn't match the real Seattle, I want Harper's map of the Underground. I got lost a little in descriptions of places, where I could have just flipped to a map and nodded to myself.

The Mean Streets Novella is so incredible I was actually squeeling. Yes, I am a fan girl about this series! I also love the Day of the Dead, and had an amazing chance to go to a Vodun ceremony in New Orleans - WOW. So to find out about Mexican tradition - the little kids OMG...

One of the reasons I like the rest of the series, though Greywalker is favorite, is I really DON'T like Will. I would like to punch him. People who don't respect someone they are with make me angry as hell. If you really care about someone you don't try to change them. I mean, its not like Harper chose the Grey! Sheesh.

Go Quinton Go!

I hope that we will see the Emo kid again - wow was he interesting.

I like it as more people come into the series. I mean, Mara and Ben are great - (kick-Albert's butt!) but Harper needs to be less isolated.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Will's desire to change Harper was one thing about him I didn't like. I was always kind of shouting in my head at him, espcially during Underground, "Shut up! She's nice and she really likes you! Shut up and leave it alone before you ruin it!" I don't think Will's a bad guy or anything, he's just very normal.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Harper

Thing One: "emo kid"? Do you mean Mickey from "The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog"? Oh man... he was fun. I got really lucky with the copyeditor on that book since she was Hispanic and checked all my Spanish and cultural stuff. She left in the swear words and even fixed the spellings so Mickey doesn't come out all clean and boring.

And my editor loved the dog, so there is much, much love for that story. (Chaos has competition in her eyes for "cool pet" now.)
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Hagelrat

I liked that Poltergiest took a different track, it's not my favourite in the series but I read a fair amount of mystery too and I thought it brought out the old gumshoe noir wonderfully.