CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inspired by Hagelrat: Why do you write what you write?

Hagelrat's question about how you became a fantasy fan made me think of the other side of the coin. For those of you who write, why do you write the type of stories that you do? What leads a writer to try fantasy instead of historical romance? Why urban fantasy instead of mysteries?

My own (unagented, unpublished, *sigh*) manuscript is horror. I've tried my hand at fantasy, and I think I've written some decent short stories in that genre, but when I tried to approach a fantasy novel it didn't click for me. I found that I wanted a story with plenty of supernatural elements, but grounded on the firm base of reality.

My imagination stills turns down the dark back-alleys in search of ghosts and goblins no matter when and where I set the story, so horror made sense. There's also an element of inspiration. I very much would like someone to pick up my book one day and be as scared by it as I was the first time I read Salem's Lot and The Shining. While I love pure fantasy, I find more and more it's the areas with the greatest crossover between supernatural and reality that speak to me.

So, for those of you who write: why do you write in that genre? Or, do you even consider your work to be in any genre at all?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

So far most of my stuff have been fantasy/science fiction. They are the genres I feel most comfortable with.

/Magnus
Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Harper

I don't set out to write in a particular genre, I just write what interests me and try to make it interesting to others. The Greywalker novels were meant to be detective books, but those ghosts and vampires and things snuck in because I started "what iffing".
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Ginger Lewis

Years ago I started writing a fantasy story about one of my longstanding RPG characters. While I love the character, I hated the story, and since then I've veered more towards the urban fantasy side of things rather than high fantasy. I like writing about worlds that seem like ours except where certain things; magic or elves for instance, are real and in the here-and-now. So much easier to borrow a world that already exists, rather than invent an entirely new one from scratch
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lewis View Post
much easier to borrow a world that already exists, rather than invent an entirely new one from scratch
That's kind of what I think, too. I don't have to make up all the rules and I can break a few as long as I establish a set of new rules to replace the ones I break. Call me lazy....
Old 01-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

All my fiction writing right now is background material for my PbP V:tM game here at CF. This is partly to present the PCs something concrete about the fact that the world moves on without them, even if the story in question happens to be OOC knowledge. The other main goal of my writing is to solidify distinctions in the goals and personalities of the main NPCs. My elder vampire NPCs in particular seemed to me to have similar on-stage signatures, and that's something that can easily break verisimilitude if they're all stuffy or manipulative or clueless about the modern world in basically the same way.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

I write the sort of stuff I enjoy reading. It's pretty much that simple.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert