CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Harper

Default Vanished: Book 4 progress report

Hi there!

Just a quick Halloween note to let you guys know that the fourth Greywalker novel, Vanished, is now on my editors's desks for review. Since this one takes place largely in London, both the US and UK editors are reviewing it together. I'm hoping to hear back from them late in November with a request for revision.

This is the standard procedure for publication, not a slam on the book. It's always hard to get the first draft perfect and this particular book had a lot of obstacles to overcome, including illnesses, the launch of another book, two other stories that needed writing, the loss of my agent and publicist and the illness and eventual death of one of my pets just this week. It's been rough, but the book was in on time and I think it's not bad.

It is the darkest book to date, however. Things get rather grim near the end, but since I'm under contract for two more after this one, it's obviously not the end.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a few days off to relax and catch up to personal business that got put off while the book was in its final writing rush before deadline. And, of course, there is a Harper Novella coming out in January in the collection Mean Streets which is headlined by Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green. (yay!)
Old 10-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting the first draft done, and my deepest condolences on the loss of your pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Awww.

Which ferret died?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 AM
Hagelrat

excited to find out what Harper makes of London.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Orally bankrupt

Starhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to hear you ramble on and on and on about what the publication process is really like.

I like to live vicariously through others the things that I have not experienced myself....
Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinja View Post
Which ferret died?
Dexter. He was nine and had a nasty cancer, but he was a sweet little guy right up to the end. And we still have Taz, the fluff-butt.

Starhawk: The publication process is different for every writer, even those who are with the same publisher or agent. I've got a page up on my site about the timeline for my initial publication and I'd say the five years it took to get into print was about the middle of the experience range. (Can't say "average" since there really isn't one.)

Every book has some quirk to the writing or editing that will make it a new experience from the last one. So even when you get to be an old pro, you'll find whole new ways to be frustrated or excited or surprised. I'm more than glad to talk about the process and all that jazz, but I don't want to bore anyone--a lot of it's dull as wet toast.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Harper

Hey guys! Guess what I have...? And you're the first to see it!

The cover for Vanished: Greywalker #4 (click the image to see the full-size version.)

What do y'all think?

Last edited by Harper; 12-05-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Hagelrat

gorgeous. Do you get any say on your covers or do you just have to hope your publisher is going to get it right?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelrat View Post
gorgeous. Do you get any say on your covers or do you just have to hope your publisher is going to get it right?
When Kat was in San Diego signing autographs for Underground, she talked about it a bit. Apparently she's got the same artist who does the Dresden books, but she gets little-to-no say in what the artwork cover will look like, because the publishers send a request out to the artist long before the writing process is done. I can't remember what his name is right now, but she did say she's talked to him once or twice about the covers. Did I get any of that wrong, Kat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Kat, is that how you envisioned Harper? Seems a bit...bustier than you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.