CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Hagelrat

I first read LOTR when I left uni and was briefly unemployed. Took me three days and I don't remember doing anything except reading and occasionally getting a couple of hours sleep.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Harper

I'd have a hard time being certain which was the first SF/F book I ever had contact with, but I remember being read The Odyssey, My Father's Dragon, The Hobbit, The Wind in the Willows, A Wrinkle in Time, and all the Narnia books perched on my dad's knee and barely able to follow the words on the page as he read them. I know I was a precocious reader and started about age 3 but I don't really remember when he read us which books. I recall that we begged for "read aloud" books until we were really much too old for it (like, 10 and 12 I think) and then got to read to our little brother a few years later. So it's been a tradition in the family to read Fantasy books aloud to each other for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Thing One

My mother read us fairytales and mythology from around the world.
But I got hooked on mysteries early and didn't get back to fantasy until Middle School.
Then it was the Hobbit, and Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums by Anne McCaffery!

In the last seven years, while I have been disabled and unable to watch movies or television (and had to give up computers until 3 years ago) reading saved my sanity. Specifically Terry Pratchett on audio. I think I have read every Discworld book at LEAST 20 times and some more than that!

Congratualtions to Sir Terry Pratchett - newly knighted! How cool is that?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Harper

That is beyond cool. I was super-pleased to hear it.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

My mother loved watching anything with supernatural elements, so I grew up with Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, lots of horror movies and ghost stories. My oldest books are like that too, a bit fantasyish (The King with Six Friends) and several children's ghost story books. She read lots of fairy tales and Greek myths to us, and I remember reading through several collections of mythologies geared for young adults by the time I was ten. I guess that set the groundwork.

My first real fantasy series was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books. I loved them, and scoured the library shelves for any book with the "Sci-Fi" red sticker on them. I read Asimov, Bova, Clarke, and Niven before moving on to Tolkien and Donaldson. By the time I had finished Donaldson's Covenant series (the first one...I was twelve or thirteen, I think), I was permanently hooked on the fantasy side, and haven't looked back since then.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

I think my first ones were C.S. Lewis with his Narnia Chronicles. I was about 10. Then J.R.R. Tolkiens LotR and Bilbo. Ursula K. Leguin with the first 3 books of the Earthsea-series (have later read book 4 and I hated that book). Stephen Donaldson was quite early as well. Then started playing rpg's and then got hooked on the various books about Gord the Rogue, Drizzt do Urden etc...

/Magnus
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM
IYamVixen

Default I really can't remember....

I'm trying to remember exactly when I became enamoured with sci fi, fantasy, paranormal, urban fantasy....they all blend together. I subscribed to a sci fi book a month club for a long while, got tired of it, moved on to fantasy with King Arthur being the primary focus. After seeing the movie Excalibur, I became addicted to Arthurian legend. Can't remember exactly when I found paranormal, but I haven't looked back. It's my primary genre of choice.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYamVixen View Post
I'm trying to remember exactly when I became enamoured with sci fi, fantasy, paranormal, urban fantasy....they all blend together. I subscribed to a sci fi book a month club for a long while, got tired of it, moved on to fantasy with King Arthur being the primary focus. After seeing the movie Excalibur, I became addicted to Arthurian legend. Can't remember exactly when I found paranormal, but I haven't looked back. It's my primary genre of choice.
I'm surprised it took this many posts for someone to mention the Arthurian stuff.

I'm trying to remember as far back as I can, I think this is the rough order of authors/books that I can recall:

Roald Dahl -1st/2nd grade

C.S. Lewis - 4th/5th grade

Choose Your Own Adventure books - Middle School

Greek Mythology/Arthurian Legend - High School

I also seem to recall reading a lot about sports and WWII in my childhood and adolescence. I didn't read LOTR until I was in grad school.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
Roald Dahl -1st/2nd grade

C.S. Lewis - 4th/5th grade
You know, I had forgotten, but I did read a bunch of the Roald Dahl books in grade school also. I do remember not liking them all that much, now that I think back on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I still remember the first ever fantsy book that I read to this day, it was The Legend of Huma which I bought second hand at a street fair. That book sucked me into the world of fantsy and from then on I was hooked. I guess I should also give credit to the animated Hobbit too, I loved that movie when I was a child.