CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Hagelrat

Default So who/what made you a fantasy fan?

Geek Monkey posted on this at unbound and I like rthe subject.
Who were the authors and what were the books that first drew you into fantasy?
For me as a child I started with the usual, CS Lewis and otherwise wasn;t much into fantasy until I was about 13 and got introduced to Clive Barker. When I came across Weaveworld I was hooked and my reading habits changed forever.
More recently I borrowed the first Kelley Armstrong "otherworld" novel and got drawn into Urban Fantasy. Essentially though, my reading habits have changed little int he last 17 years.
How about you?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

It probably sounds odd, but I sort of got into sci-fi/fantasy reading because it's what my dad read. So I saw the covers, then went looking for stuff like it. A lot of little-kids books are fantasy (tell me Clifford the Big Red Dog isn't a magical creature ) and I loved those.

I don't remember specifically what my first fantasy influences were; I think it might really have been the Chronicles of Amber that I read in 7th grade. I followed those up with some of Mercedes Lackey - Diana Tregarde and SERRAted Edge. The earliest sci-fi I remember reading was Asimov's "Norby the Robot" books, which I tore through in 4th-5th grade. And let me add the Stranger in a Strange Land is not a good book to be reading in 8th grade, even if you're smart enough to grok most of the words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I am the one you warned me of

Imaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant future

Aside from liking Star Wars in 1977 when it was in the theater (and I was 6), I collected comic books. Not heavy collecting, just buying an issue here and there and wearing it out. Though I did have all of the old Star Wars comics. Skip forward to the summer between 4th and 5th grade, and my mom took me to the community college library and I checked out Doctor Dolittle. That was probably my first fantasy/sci fi book. From there, CS Lewis, Jules Verne, and then I started reading my brothers' book collections. John Carter of Mars, Tarzan, wasn't allowed to read the Piers Anthony at that age though.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

For me it started with CS Lewis and Lloyd Alexander. I devoured the tales, and went looking for more. Dragonlance was part, as was Eddings.

I don't recall any concious decisions to be into fantasy.

As for urban fantasy, one of my favorite series of books is Robert B. Parker's Spenser mysteries. Combining that with Fantasy, (assuming it was done well), was a sure win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

For me? Comics and Greek mythology. I learned to read from Asterix books and the first real books I read were about Greek mythology -- I was big fan of Robert Graves, in particular.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

My grammar school had a complete Bullfinch's Mythology, but it was for reference only.

I would go in, sit down and read it at one of the tables at every free moment until I finished it.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, I'm looking at YOU

BattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Irish and was raised from infanthood on stories of the fey and ancient Ireland. It was an easy step from there.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Orally bankrupt

Starhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond repute

I was a very, very precocious reader and raided my dad's bookshelf early.

I read The Hobbit and LOTR at around six years old. It only got worse from there.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

I started with Hardy boys and Nancy Drew. That led inevitably to Tom Swift, the Three Investigators, and the Skylark series..

Then came Perry Rhodan.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

My father, upon discovering the happy news that his first grade kid had learned to read (I notably was soundly failing all the first grade reading activities until that point) dug out his copy of Tolkien's Trilogy and gave it to me to read

This did take rather a while (well into the summer) to successfully happen