CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
For the record I wasn't trying to accuse you of plagerism or anything, it's more that I thought the vamps were 2d, when most of the charecters are 3d.
Oh heavens, no. I didn't think you were accusing me of ripping anyone else off. It's just a note that if they look familiar, that's a coincidence. It's unfortunate that vampires are so done to death that there aren't a lot of new things to try. I don't find them as flat as you do, but I'm privy to information about the characters that you haven't been exposed to yet, if you've only listened to the audio book of Greywalker.

Of course, I am the writer and I'm not objective. And it was my first book--hopefully I'm getting better at this stuff. I appreciate the critique, though, because no one improves if they never get intelligent feedback.

I guess I'm going to have to listen to the whole audio book and see what I think of Mia's recording. There's another recording at the Braille Library and I'd love to compare the two.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Hagelrat

Audio books here are about 15 - 20 a time. It's hard to justify buying the audio of a book you already have when it's twice what the book cost, even if you'd really like it. Also, Bookstores here seem to just have a few as an afterthought so the selection is rubbish. I think it's a real shame because although I read lots Mark and I both listen to audio books at night (he is an insomniac) and in the car, so if they were sensibly priced we'd buy loads.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelrat View Post
Audio books here are about 15 - 20 a time. It's hard to justify buying the audio of a book you already have when it's twice what the book cost, even if you'd really like it. Also, Bookstores here seem to just have a few as an afterthought so the selection is rubbish. I think it's a real shame because although I read lots Mark and I both listen to audio books at night (he is an insomniac) and in the car, so if they were sensibly priced we'd buy loads.
www.audible.com

I pay $20 / month and get 2 audiobooks. Great selection, (although they don't have The Dresden files as read by James Marsters...which I'd love to listen to.)

The books are in a proprietry format, but you can burn them to stanadard CDs.

If you want more than the membership "credit" books, the rates are MUCH better than at bookstores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Hagelrat

BB - thanks for the heads up, i'll see if I can find something similar and yeah i'm desperate for the James Masters Dresdens too.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelrat View Post
BB - thanks for the heads up, i'll see if I can find something similar and yeah i'm desperate for the James Masters Dresdens too.
My pleasure.

BTW Audible's proprietry format works on IPods and Sansa (SanDisk) MP3 players among others. A $20 .mp3 investment should work. If you have a non-complant player, you can always burn to a disk, then rip the disk to a standard mp3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Hagelrat

groovy, I'm a pod person so should all work nicely.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Harper

And just to drive you all mad: the audio version of Poltergeist is about to be released. Yay! (Although I still have reservations about the reader.)
Old 12-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Hagelrat

Do you not get a say in the reader?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Harper

Nope. Kind of like cover art--no one asks me and if I say anything they nod sagely, smile like I'm a bit stupid and say "we'll bear that in mind."
Old 12-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Hagelrat

It's a shame on both counts, I can understand not wanting to give the final say to the author necessarily, but you see some book covers and some reader choices that really do a book a disservice. You've had great covers, I hope your reader works out ok.