CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Harper

Default Audio not quite live

So... My agent let me know that the audio version of Greywalker is coming out September 23. Needless to say, this makes me Very Happy.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Who's doing the reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Harper

The narrator is a lady named Mia Barron. Unfortunately she's kind of new to the business and I don't know anything about her. I have the impression that Recorded Books LLC--that's the publisher of the audio--is hoping to get the first three books out quickly and catch the Christmas buying frenzy, but that's strictly a guess.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Harper

Default Quickie update

The audio download is now available at Audible.com and there's a nifty streaming sample you can listen to if you want. I find the narrator's voice a little bland, but she reads well and very clearly. I just hope the photo on the cover is Ms. Barron and not Harper, 'cause I can't imagine her in a beret.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
The audio download is now available at Audible.com and there's a nifty streaming sample you can listen to if you want. I find the narrator's voice a little bland, but she reads well and very clearly. I just hope the photo on the cover is Ms. Barron and not Harper, 'cause I can't imagine her in a beret.
I will download tonight. (I'm in the middle of Blaze by Richard Bachman, but am totally not into it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The narrator is falling into the first person trap.

When reading a first person account, the entire thing should be read as dialog, as if the charcter was talking to the reader. You can hear her tone and cadence change as she switches from "narrator" mode to "charecter" mode.

If she read the whole thing in charecter mode, I think she'd be much better.

As for a story analysis...I'm only 10 minutes into a 12 1/2 hour audiobook...so I don't have any yet.

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 AM

So I finished listening to Greywalker.

The Good: I like the mystery around some of the charecters. Will and Quenton especially I was never quite sure of.

The Greywalker hook itself is something new and interesting.

The dialog was mostly belivable, with only a couple minor exceptions.

The Bad: The more I listened, the less I enjoyed the narrator. Every male charecter sounded like a bad head cold. Really just putrid masculine voices.

I'm pretty sure that I've played in White Wolf Games with each of those vampires. The hippy Malkavian, the backstabbing Ventrue, Alice the cold Toredor, Carlos the Giovanni.

Finally, I just lost my suspension of disbelief about everything that had to come together for the plot to resolve. Good thing she got these cases at once!

And I'm betting it was the voice over, but Harper came off as whiney a lot of the time. Especially with Mara.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
The Greywalker hook itself is something new and interesting.
It's part of what I like about the series.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I've played in White Wolf Games with each of those vampires. The hippy Malkavian, the backstabbing Ventrue, Alice the cold Toredor, Carlos the Giovanni.
If you don't like the vampires, they don't make much of an appearance in the next two books. Kat did say something about bringing them back in book four, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Harper

Yeah, there's vampire problems in Book 4, Vanished, and a lot more in Book 5 (still untitled). I'm not actually a fan of my own vampires. It was never my intention to write "a vampire book" it's just what came out. But I have to say I didn't base the vampires on anyone's system or prior book. I just stuck to basics and let them develop on their own. I've never played the White Wolf systems or read the manuals.

I haven't listened to the whole audio book yet. It's hard to sit through anyone else reading my material. Especially since I used to read aloud for the Braille Library myself, so I'm picky as hell.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
Yeah, there's vampire problems in Book 4, Vanished, and a lot more in Book 5 (still untitled). I'm not actually a fan of my own vampires. It was never my intention to write "a vampire book" it's just what came out. But I have to say I didn't base the vampires on anyone's system or prior book. I just stuck to basics and let them develop on their own. I've never played the White Wolf systems or read the manuals.

I haven't listened to the whole audio book yet. It's hard to sit through anyone else reading my material. Especially since I used to read aloud for the Braille Library myself, so I'm picky as hell.
For the record I wasn't trying to accuse you of plagerism or anything, it's more that I thought the vamps were 2d, when most of the charecters are 3d.

As for the recording...I'll be picking up the next book on paper. I'm not sure if I can deal with the reader for an entire series.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: