CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Hagelrat

Default Best of the Noughties

Ok we have a whole decade to play with so I want to know what people's favourite books were that were published in the noughties and what new authors really made an impact on you?

I'm going to be fairly general I think, in the last couple of years I have gone from a long routine of only reading a fairly fixed list of authors and re reading endlessly to book blogging, reading tonnes of new stuff and catching up with what I missed out on. One of the things that made a big difference to my reading was coming across urban fantasy for the first time, starting with Jim Butcher and Kat which then spread to Team Seattle and beyond, then back to the UK for Mike Carey pretty recently.
Of course aside from Good Omens I didn't start reading Gaiman till a couple of years ago either.

Ok, so how about you?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

TBH, I'd have to look up publishing dates. I don't generally think of books based on when they were published. Other than Kat's books, and Butcher, I can't think of what I've read that I know was published recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
rse2412

OKay, well in the last ten years I have found Gaiman, Butcher and Richardson - all of which I have been very pleased about. Connolly in the crime genre.

To be honest I have found myself being much more picky what I read as I get older. I used to devour almost anything in youth *g*. Sometimes I am embarassed to think about some of the things I did read back then.

I think I have spent more time writing than reading in the last 10 years.

Rae
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Limited to fiction...Best of the decade: my top ten (um, or 14, as the case may be)

Cormac McCarthy, The Road (2006), No Country for Old Men (2005)
George Martin, Storm of Swords (2000), A Feast for Crows (2005)
Arturo Perez-Reverte, The Nautical Chart (2000)
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind (2007)
Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001)
Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind (2001)
Stephen King, Duma Key
Steven Erikson, Midnight Tides (2004), Memories of Ice (2001), Deadhouse Gates (2000)
Jacqueline Carey, Banewreaker (2004), Godslayer (2005)

Edit to say: no order to those, just as they came to me. The Road would be my number 1, best novel of the decade pick. Gets harder after that.

Last edited by Archaelos; 01-08-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum series
Also, I discovered Terry Pratchett

Other than that, not sure . . . . I finished High School in 2000, so, have read much less
Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Hagelrat

I keep hearing how fabulous The Road is and think I am goin got have to cave and read it soon.
I've looked at the Stephanie Plum books but not taken the plunge yet. So many books, so little time.
As for stuff i used to read when I was younger and don't anymore, well I don't think I could face Graham Masterton these days.