CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Hagelrat

Default Who else do you read?

My urban fantasy faves are obviously Kat, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Richelle Mead, Jim Butcher and Rob Thurman, Patricia Briggs and Lilith Saintcrow. by no means exhaustive but those would all have to be in the top ten. I liked the early Anita Blakes, and the one with Edward as a lead, otherwise they became increasingly disapointing.
What about everyone else?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Anita Blake 1-9.
Dresden Files. (The Calderon series isn't urban, but it's still pretty good.)
Greywalker (obviously!)
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter world. (yeah, they still have graphic sex - my big complaint with Anita - but at least Kenyon doesn't use sex to replace the plot)
Brigg's series with the were-coyote. (can't remember the name right now)
not fantasy, but I like J D Robb's In Death series.

There's others I'm forgetting since I'm far away from my library at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Anita Blake novels up through and including Obsidian Butterfly, the Dresden files, and Vicki Pettersson's Sign of the Zodiac novels.

Interesting. I haven't seen a lot of these names before.

I initially wondered about this fan forum, BN, but I think this could actually turn out to be a cool discussion.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Neil Gaiman's book Neverwhere is one of my favourites.

/Magnus
Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that despite several years' worth of running three different incarnations of my GURPS V:tM chronicle, I've never read any of the stuff that would be considered source material for the game, or anything else that might even remotely qualify as urban fantasy. I really should change that one of these days.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Hagelrat

lots of the same stuff and a few new ones to try excellent.
I love Neil Gaiman MB and NEverwhere is one of my faves, also love Clive Barkers "Abarat" books whihc I think are Young Adult but are typically dark and bizarre.
Are you guys library thingers? I'd love to check out the rest of your reads and feed my addiction!
http://www.librarything.com/profile/hagelrat
Old 09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Gaiman's Neverwhere, and to a lesser extent, American Gods. Butcher's Dresden Files are good. Haven't seen anyone mention Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series. Also thought Terry Brooks's Knight of the Word series was worth reading.

A lot of my own writing is at least on the borderline of urban fantasy, if I ever get published I'll come back and list myself.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Hagelrat

i've read Nightwatch and enjoyed it although I haven't made it to the others yet, also agree that the Knight of the Word books re pretty cool, they are the only terry brooks books i kept during my big clearout.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

I forgot Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge and Bedlam's Bard series, which I think were the first real 'urban fantasy' books I ever read. Elves driving racecars really cracked me up as a premise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Harper

Hey, I remember those! I really enjoyed the SERRAted Edge books. Urban Fantasy owes a lot to Mercedes Lackey between that and the Diana Tregard novels.