CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

View Poll Results: What belongs in Urban Fantasy?
vampires (of the evil Dracula variety) 17 89.47%
vampires (of the Anita Blake and/or Angel/Buffy variety) 17 89.47%
werewolves 18 94.74%
other lycanthropes 18 94.74%
magic (of the Cheap Wicca aka Charmed variety) 11 57.89%
magic (of the conjuration/alchemical variety) 18 94.74%
magic (of the Harry Potter variety) 11 57.89%
angels and/or demons 16 84.21%
aliens 3 15.79%
super technology (cyborgs, freeze rays, laser guns) 5 26.32%
elves and/or other fairie folk 14 73.68%
local myth o' the week (native american spirits, kitsune, djinn, etc) 17 89.47%
time travel 5 26.32%
alternate dimensions 13 68.42%
zombies (of the Dawn of the Dead variety) 15 78.95%
intelligent animals (with or without the power of speech) 10 52.63%
telepathy, telekinesis, and other psychic powers (as distinct from magic) 15 78.95%
Something you left off the list (as filled in below) 6 31.58%
You're an insensitive clod! 4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

Nope never read it, I'll consider adding it to the list.

The only way I'd wnat steampunk brought into Greywalker would be if it were done with a lot of humor. But who knows people have incorporated ideas into their work in ways I hadn't thought of in the past so Mrs. RIchardson might come up with somethign really cool if she ever chose to do so, which she probably won't.

Poor Anita nobody likes her anymore...except me and Sigmund. Sorry but Harper would kick her head in she's way tougher.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Harper

Y'know... I'm not a huge Anita Blake fan. Not since Book 5 or so. I'm looking for something else in a book than what Ms. Hamilton is currently delivering. But that doesn't mean she's not doing a good job of writing something a lot of other people really like. Personally I find her a bit more of the Anne Rice school than the Butcher/Harris/Huff/Green school but there's room for us all.

As to steampunk, I like a lot of the ideas, but as a friend of mine recently pointed out, a lot of steampunk is still in the clever-worldbuilding stage where the writers are largely experimenting with the "cool" and not yet developing the stories. She feels that what is needed is the genre's "Dracula" or "The Matrix"--taking the dominant ideas and props and melding them with an involving plot and characters rather than just staring with childlike wonder at the "neat stuff." I happen to agree. Good story is what we remember even more than great worlds.

It's Vernian in origin, but Jules Verne was a bit of a sloppy potter. Does anyone really remember or care about his characters? Not so much. They remember the ideas like the Nautilus and the Core of the Earth and the hot air balloon that carried Fogg and his valet around the world in 80 Days. But I think some of the upcoming stuff is going to rock that world with much better story and character on top of the wonder of fabulous machines.

And I did slip a steampunk item into VANISHED.... (well, technically it's "clockpunk" but you'll get it when you see it.)
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Those are all really good points, Steam Punk does need a story with an evolving plot and characters to get people interestd in it beyond saying ooh at the fun stuff.

Oh man every time I find out something new about Vanished I want to read it more and more.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Harper

Yup, I'm an evil beast that way....
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

That's just mean haha, Jim Butcher's new book doesn't come out for a while yet either so I don't get to read anything new from either onen of my favortie series for a while.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Just a thought but I'd say super hero also fall under urban fantasy at least as far as my definition goes. Some more than others certainly *Cough* Dr. Strange *Cough*.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

I don't think that Genius: The Transgression was out at the time I made this thread, or I would have definitely voted for a few more science-y options at the time. For those of you who are fans of World of Darkness, or just mad science in general, I highly recommend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakutian View Post
This sort of random but it's an idea that has been eating at me for months now. I want some urban fantasy crossovers! Harry Dresden meets Harper Blaine! Dr. Strange meets Georgina Kincaid! Joanne Baldwin meets somebody else! Seriously I know it would be weird but it'd be fantastic.
As far as crossovers, C.E. Murphy is working on a project with Faith Hunger. Joanne Baldwin and Jane Yellowrock.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe I didnt say dragons. You need dragons