CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I was wondering something about Sisuitl from Underground earlier and I was hoping to get other peopl'es theories. Alright so the creature essentially appears to each person as what they expect it to be correct? Expect a giant se serpetn and that's what you see, expect something else and the same applies.Here's my question. How does it know what to appear as? I mean is it just magic reflex? Or does the creature have some sort of telepathy so it can read your mind and know how you're interpreting it?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I know Harper doesn't count as a monster herself but my question abotu her fits in with them for the moment. I was wondering how being a Greywalker will effect Harper after she goes to the big detective agency in the sky? I mean will it make her a more intelligent aware ghost or something else all together? I'm operating under the idea that she'll remain Harper pretty much entirely only a ghost, not one of the aimless, unaware, endlessly looping ghosts she'se seen so often.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Yanno, I thought about this while driving home. Traditionally, aren't there methods to "cure" lycanthropy? There's no reason why Quinton couldn't become a werewolf, and then Harper has to cure him before she can come near him again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Oh good point, isn't the only cure usually to kill the werewolf who bit you though? Then in some cases eating the heart of said werewolf as well. Any other lycanthropy cures come to mind?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Harper

book 4....
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Harper

Harper does occasionally consider herself a monster. Sometimes the monsters even tell her she is one. A lot depends on what you think a monster is. And one constant in the premise is that there are no absolute avatars of Good and Evil, only what we, the humans, make. So... we're the monsters.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

That's a really interesting take on it, I could easily see Harper being the sort of person who would view herself in the negative or as one of the monsters I suppose. Maybe it's the knoweldge that we're the monsters and the choice of what we do with that bit of knowledge that decides what sort of monster we become in the end? Sorry if that doesn't make any sort of sense.

Oh and Harper should never trust the monsters. Ever. They lie like rugs.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Thing One

This is very interesting (Oh thank gods Quinton isn't a furry)
Harper is the way she is because she died. So what would happen if she dies again?
I don't see her being a ghost. But if she thinks she is a monster then:
belief = power = reality - so she may end up being one of the massively powerful Grey monsters. I mean, where did they come from anyway? She is obviously a power now in the Grey, so why not remain so after death?

But right now, she is just what the series calls her: A walker in the Grey. I don't see her as being all powerful. But I do see her getting better at dealing with the Grey, and finding new layers in the Grey.

I didn't know that Harper thought she was a monster. Does she believe in any sort of religrion? Is she atheist or agnostic? I mean, we don't see her trying to make crosses out of pieces of wood when she is around the vamps. So, her personaly belief system would be powerful.

In Poltergeist I think that Harper, when she is tearing the construct apart, is monsterous. She tend to be a destroyer in the Grey. And if she is constantly seeing humans and others in the Grey, then why would she believe in Heaven or a Hell? The Grey seems like both.

So would Harper try to stay alive, so that she WOULDN'T end up as something unknown in the Grey? That would give her the power of conviction, of the "Hell no I won't go" sort.

(Kat, she isn't going to see a Werewolf in London is she? ) That would be hilarious.

And geniuses are plently powerful people - they are like superheroes. I live with two of them, and it is amazing to watch them just know or understand things in less the a second. I never kid when I tell people my husband could teach himself how to do brain surgery out of a book. And Quinton does hand out in the Library a lot

I think that Mara and her knowledge is an important person in thie Grey world - I mean she is a good witch. What would have happened with Harper if she had met a BAD witch first?

My theory, which is much like flying monkey coming out of my ears, is that Harper will face magic in England that is very different than anything she has seen here in Seattle. Can I just say it would be really scary if Harper started to drink a lot - OMG that would be baaaaad.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Harper

Oh the drinking! That's something I did not adopt from the hardboiled tradition--the hard-drinking PI. I considered it, but I don't want her to be that dysfunctional. And J.A. Konrath beat me to the best AA-meets monsters story in Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, so I guess I'll skip that.

I haven't had a chance to deal with really bad witches yet, but they'll probably show up. I try to plan the books about 2 years in advance now, but things often change as drafts change and that effects the whole long-range story. I don't want to put all the cool stuff in just one book.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Maybe it's just me but I haven't really missed bad witches in the books up to this point, I realize they're sort of the stand by villains for fantasy books but that's part of the problem with them. They're expected it's almost required to put them in a series at one point or another, but to me it's more interesting to see something new or different make an appearance. Native american legends and ghosts are two of the things I've really liked for Greywalker, I realize ghosts are pretty old too but the ones for Harper's stories are the best. They've been really interesting up to now.

All that aside more zombies crossing Harper's path would be fantastic.