CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I'm kind of curious about Harper's ability to "ghost" through objects at the moment. What I'm wondering is this, is there anything that she can't pass through or that passing through would do her physical harm? Maybe a metal with magicla properties like silver, or mirrors? Just a thought. I figure there must be something that is greywalker proof and that can hurt them ormore importantly Harper.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

It'd be really interesting to see more native american monster's/gods/mythical beings brought into Harper's story. I don't know if it was a one time experiment or not but it worked and it's really unique to her. That said trickster gods are among my favorite beings in any pantheon so why not give one of them a turn? The though of a virtually all powerful being screwing with Harper's head for some reason is pretty funny. I know there's Coyote and Raven but I'm not sure if they would apply to any of the tribes in the Washington area.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Harper

Raven is very much a part of the northwest native culture. He has interesting friends, too, like Salmon and Blue Jay and Otter, but I'm reluctant to repeat myself and I'm not an expert on native myths, so I'll probably let it go for a while and get back to it in a few books.

I had to work hard to get out from under the "vampire writer" label, so I'm reluctant to get another label so soon.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

That's a good point, wouldn't want you to be hindered by some label. That's never any fun.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Alchemist

Sweet topic. I'm with everyone else that if vampires can 'exist', as well as other supernatural (extranatural?) then werewolves can exist and be feasible.

Taking the Grey look on things, and noting how Harper get's dim when in the Grey, I could see werewolves having two 'phases'. A human phase, that is what they would present normally, and a Grey wolf phase that exists at all times but simply is invisible while in the Grey. In much the same way Harper goes into the Grey, a were's human form could go into the Grey and disappear, and have the Wolf phase come out of the Grey and become visible. Instant transformation - no breaking of the laws of conservation of mass. It would not be an illusion so much as a Grey trading of places.

Another option might be a long biological change (infection period) time, maybe a month? where new muscle and bone structures form that allow both human and animal form to be possible. Claws retract. If we are talking theory here, why not bones and muscle that only appear to lengthen or shorten but in reality are simply shifting position to form a new external appearance. Granted, hair might be tricky, but....

I like the first explanation best, and I am sure Kat has her own ideas, but I like it's elegance into this mythos.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Hagelrat

I think the thing that might mesh best with the Grey, given the reasons Kat gave for not going in for were's would be to use the mythology about cults who worshipped wolves. There were plenty of legends of cults of lycanthropes who no one really believed changed shape, but who took on certain characteristics, and like the Vamps in Greywalker, they were totally unapologetic about how vicious and bloody they were. They could easily have lengthened teeth and claws and heightened senses without shape shifting.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelrat View Post
I think the thing that might mesh best with the Grey, given the reasons Kat gave for not going in for were's would be to use the mythology about cults who worshipped wolves. There were plenty of legends of cults of lycanthropes who no one really believed changed shape, but who took on certain characteristics, and like the Vamps in Greywalker, they were totally unapologetic about how vicious and bloody they were. They could easily have lengthened teeth and claws and heightened senses without shape shifting.
New here. When/where did Kat give reasons for not going in for weres?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Harper

I mentioned it a few times, but there's also Quinton's discussion of physics.

However: That's a fantastic idea, Alchemist. I like that aspect swapping idea a lot. I'll have to think a bit on how well it works with the system I have in place, but... heck, that could make me change my mind about the viability of shapeshifters.

By the way... we haven't met in another forum before... have we?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
I mentioned it a few times, but there's also Quinton's discussion of physics.

However: That's a fantastic idea, Alchemist. I like that aspect swapping idea a lot. I'll have to think a bit on how well it works with the system I have in place, but... heck, that could make me change my mind about the viability of shapeshifters.

By the way... we haven't met in another forum before... have we?
Have we met? Not that I am aware of, but anything is possible. No other literature sites but I am on other topic forums. It's the handle I use most often in a variety of forums so if you know or have seen another Alchemist, there is a better than naught chance it is me. And I am in the PNW. Just for a subtle (NOT) shameless plug, I am the alchemist behind Chocolate Alchemy (google is your friend).

I am really glad you like the idea. I am a scientist by trade (chemist) and think very much like Quinton is portrayed and had come to many of the same conclusions. But I am too huge of a Were fan to not try and come up with something practical given a set of rules. That would rock if it made you re-evaluate your shapeshifter stance.

And I wasn't going to read Quinton's stance on shapeshifting as your stance on the subject. I have known too many authors where there stance on a subject bares no resemblance to their character's. You know what assuming does...

Thanks for reading and answering.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Harper

I appreciate that, Alchemist. A lot of people assume a central character's position on a subject is the author's. In this case it's a statement of how the physics works so far as I/they can tell. Once I'd set up that set of rules, I couldn't see how shapeshifters would fit. But... that is a heck of an explanation you have there. Hmmm...

Nope, looks like we have not, in fact, met before. You just remind me of someone and that's not bad.