CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > CP2020: J is for Jovian

CP2020: J is for Jovian A Cyberpunk play-by-post administered by Baelfyre.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future
Default When a Good Day Goes Bad

Mahmoud was having a good day. It had been warm, and not too sandy all day. The pickups in the AV had all gone smoothly... for the first time in two months they were going back into the barn with a full load of ammo. Up front, flying was Costello. Abbot was next to him, running the weapons. Two chainguns and whole mess of missiles was something nobody in their right mind wanted to mess with. Two Solo's rode by the door; they were the first ones in and the last ones out. Blake on the left with the MPK-11 and Snipe on the right. Everybody said Snipe was a girl, but you can never tell with the full conversions. Especially the ones with the minigun in place of their left forearms. The Medical team was two medtechs and two nurses. Belinda Plax was the other medtech. A lot more experienced, she was in charge of the team. Not that she looked that much older than Ahmoud. Until you saw her eyes. A pair of chromalloy orbs that looked right through you. Creepy

The nurses changed from day to day, unlike the rest of the team.

Riding in, they headed to the pad on the top of the REO building, safe in the Disney Corpzone. Blake rode the vectored thrust in smoothly, not even spilling Abbot's coffee. This time. The swarm of techs rushed forward, breaking open panels in the side for maintenance and attaching fuel and coolant lines that ran all the way up from the basement.

Belinda motioned for Mahmoud to follow her and headed for the break room.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 PM
TinSoldier

"Ah, Belinda! Such a great day today wasn't it?"

Mahmoud practically skipped on his way to the breakroom, so high were his spirits. The only thing he was really lacking for now were friends -- but with this great job at REO that situation wouldn't last for too long. He knew it was only a matter of time before he was able to forge a closer bond with one of his coworkers or two.

God willing.

"I mean, not a shot fired today! Well, not counting those potshots we always take flying over the Orange Blossom Trail or the Pine Hills neighborhood, not to mention East Orange County.

"And then there were those two Corps we saved today! Hah -- both of them just routine cardiac arrests caused by too much stim and 'dorph together. When are these guys ever gonna learn?

"Heh -- then again, that would put us out of business. Wouldn't it? I mean, for the easy stuff anyway. "

Last edited by TinSoldier; 10-04-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Belinda looks at Mahmoud a bit coolly, and takes out her wallet. She fishes in it for a moment, and pulls out a thick polycarbonate slab, about twice the size of a credit card and places it on the desk. Pressing the center of the card, she says "We have about five minutes to talk. You've got trouble. Do you know somebody named Bryce Talltrees?"

(The answer, btw, is yes. Talltrees is the enemy you rolled up that can throw an entire government agency at you)
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 AM
TinSoldier

The lightness in Mahmoud's step stumbles a bit as his happy mood of moments before comes crashing down.

"B-b-bryce? Bryce Talltrees? W-w-we used to be coworkers, back when I was still a nurse, still in training. Why?"
Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Ailing Ninja

"I'm not going to go into the details, but he's blackballed you here. Or most places that do medical work. The paperwork is being processed now to fire you and kick you out of your place." she replies quietly. Still quietly, she continues "I have delayed it for a couple of hours. No more. Be gone by then. When the paperwork hits, the company erases all records you ever worked here. That includes your pay, your taxes, your apartment, and your ass if it's still here. I'm sorry I can't help more than that."

She then reaches into her wallet again, and hands a blank plexicard to Mahmoud. "This is a code locked business card. Say the word "heaven" and it will display a contact to get in touch with a fixer I know."

"You still have about three minutes of time when I can answer questions before the jammer runs out of power. So now is the time."
Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 AM
TinSoldier

"But no, you can't...

"He can't...

"Shit."

Mahmoud takes the card from Belinda and starts to turn away angrily. He stops, turns to her and gives her a silent nod of thanks before turning again and jogging for the exit.

"Seven trades and no luck", Mahmoud whispered the old proverb under his breath. "It is God's will, Mash'allah."
Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Ailing Ninja

Belinda smiles briefly as he gets up, and says "I knew I wouldn't have to paint you a picture. The company will not be pursuing you if you aren't here. And Heaven may be both willing and able to help. But count your digits when you get done dealing with her."

"Good luck and fast feet, my friend."

An hour later, Mahmoud is standing outside his bank, with his kit on his back and the savings from a year of work. And no place to go.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
TinSoldier

Mahmoud shifts his gear a little bit, still not finding a more comfortable way in which to carry it. He looks at the card given him by Belinda once more before tucking it away again.

Walking down the street, in no particular direction, Mahmoud looks for a public terminal which might have a little privacy, where he can activate the card and make his contact.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Ailing Ninja

Mahmoud finds a vterm with little difficulty, being that they are all over the place in the corpzone. He speaks the codeword, and the code displays a web address. Using the vterm, Mahmoud accesses that page, which has this message:

Leroy's Bar and Grill. 7pm. Ask for Heavens office.

He looks up the address, and finds that it's smack dab in the middle of booster turf. The Screaming Eagles. Not as bad as say... Blood Razors, but still bad juju.

With that, Mahmoud leaves the sparkling clean corpzone behind, and heads into the combat zone.

Leroy's Bar and Grill is a dive. Mahmoud's first clue that it's a dive is the human foot sticking out of the dumpster. The second is that it looks kind of chewed. The last two is that a couple of guys are in a knife fight over who gets to take it to the Body Bank and sell it.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 AM
TinSoldier

"I put my trust in Allah. Tawkaltu 'ala Allah", Mahmoud says under his breath, maybe not quite convinced by his own words as he walks through the door.