CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
How about we remove the 12 statues of Confederate traitors from the US Capitol Building?
I am all for it! :-) however, Who are they?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischade View Post
I am all for it! :-) however, Who are they?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c952bf39e4a9

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

David Argall is an evil overlordDavid Argall is an evil overlordDavid Argall is an evil overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
How about we remove the 12 statues of Confederate traitors from the US Capitol Building?
We pride ourselves as a free nation. Honoring traitors is one way we show that. This shows that loyalty to the state is not our highest value.

David Argall
Old 08-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Resident Wizard

Windhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlord

I'd like to see an alternative solution.

We frown when we see Japan's nationalists try to scrub the Nanking campaign from the history books.

Many criticize Turkey for their continued denial of the Armenian genocide.

Tearing out these statues and monuments is like trying to tear a page out our own history books, to try to pretend that it never happened.

What if, instead of tearing down statues of Lee and other civil war figures, we relocated them. By about 25 feet. Move them back a bit, and erect another statue to their counterpart in the particular battle or campaign, so they share the space. Do it with equal prominence, respect and dignity. Between the two, place a plaque or plaques describing their roles in the conflict, giving both their place in history. Add perspective.

The Civil War happened, whether we like it or not. It was about slavery, but there was far more to it than just that. To pare it down to a single divisive issue is to dumb it down to a caricature of what it really was.

I think we should remember and face our history, warts and all.

As a permit holder, one of your goals should be to never have a law named after you

"Remember, the pen is mightier than the sword!"
"Tell you what. You, me, dark alley. You bring the pen."