CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > RPG Discussion Forums > Role-playing Games

Role-playing Games Any discussion of role-playing is welcome here: playing, gamemastering, even adventure design, no matter what system you play.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Instant npc to D&D after a playtest

A couple of weeks ago my group did some playtesting for a variant version of grappling rules in D&D 5e. It was a one-shot adventure set in a pseudo-Viking environment up in the frozen North. We had no magical equipment (well we were lent a magical sword as we were supposed to retrieve things from the temple dedicated to Tyr.)

The grappling system needed some better balance imo, but it was better than normal rules. You took "damage" to maneouver points, and if you reached zero (if I recall correctly) you could not move. However, you did take so much such damage that after one or 2 hits and you could not do anything. Most of the things we fought were huge things with reach...

Anyway, I just wanted to post the character I used in case anyone needs an instant npc. We used the stat array (15,14,13,12,10,8) for creating the characters.

Name: Järver Bjarkur (intended to be Icelandic and translates as Wolverine Birch)
Race: Wood elf
Class: Barbarian (lvl 5)
Alignment: Chaotic good
Languages: Common, Elven, Orcish

Str: 14 (+2)
Dex: 15 (+2) (had put the 13-score here, and got +2 from elf)
Con: 15 (+2)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 9 (-1) (put the 8-score here, and got +1 from wood elf)
Cha: 12 (+1)

Proficiency bonus: +3
AC: 16 (with a breastplate, 14 if unarmoured)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 45 (base 30, +5 from elf, +10 from barbarian if not wearing heavy armour)
Passive perception: 12
Max Hitpoints: 50 (5d12) (used the average)

Saves: Str (+5), Dex (+5), Con (+2), Int (+0), Wis (-1), cha (+1)

Skills (trained marked with *):
Acrobatics (+2)
* Animal Handling (+1)
Arcane (+0)
* Athletics (+5)
Deception (+1)
History (+0)
Insight (-1)
Intimidation (+1)
Investigation (+0)
Medicine (-1)
* Nature (+3)
* Perception (+2)
Performance (+1)
Persuasion (+1)
Religion (+0)
Sleight of hand ( +2)
Stealth (+2)
* Survival (+2)

Weapons:
* Glaive, to hit: +5, damage: 1d10+2 (s) (+2 dmg if raging)
* Shortbow, to hit: +5, Damage:1d6+2 (p)
* Javelin, to hit: +5, Damage 1d6+2 (p)

Feats & Abilities:
From elf
* Darkvision 60 feet
* Keen senses (prof in perception)
* Fey Ancestry (Advantage to charm, magic can't put ger to sleep)
* Trance (meditating for 4 hours instead of sleeping)
* Trained: Sword (longsword, shortsword), Bow (longbow, shortbow)
* Fleet of foot: +5 movement
* Mask of the Wild: Can attempt to hide even when only lightly obscured

From Barbarian
* Proficient: Light/medium armour + shield, simple/martial weapons,
* Reckless attack
* Danger sense: Advantage on dex saving throws against things she can see.
* Unarmoured defense: 10 + dex modifier + con modifier = 14
* Rage: 3 times per day for up to 1 minute each time. Ends if not attacking/attacked for a round
* Advantage on strength checks and strength savng throws while raging
* Primal Path - Totem warrior - Spiritual totem lvl 3: Bear => While raging resistance to all damage except psychic damage.
* Extra attack
* Fast movement + 10 move

From background
* Tool proficiency: Musical instrument - flute

At lvl 4, I took the feat Polearm mastery.Sso she has +5 feet reach, and can attack people who enters said reach with an attack-of-opportunity. Can also do a bonus attack with the butt of the glaive for 1d4+2 damage.

Background: Outlander - Tribal Marauder

Personality trait: "I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching orc horde. I'd do it again if I had to"

Ideal: "I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan"

Bond: "My family/clan/tribe is the most important thing to me, even when they are far from me."

Flaws: "There is no room for caution, in a life lived to the fullest."

Appereance: She is young (age 110 years or so), Slightly coppery skin, long black hair to her waist, and hazel eyes. She has a lean build (can't recall her height and weight, as I only photograpped the front of the character sheet, but is rather short.) She is dressed in a light jacket with a breastplate over it, then tight leather pants, and knee-high boots. She prefer darker natural colours. She wears a necklace with the claws and teeth of a bear.

I picture her as someone who is most of the time out in the forests patrolling so no invaders come near her village. She will take whatever pleasures she can, as she knows life can be short. If you are her friend, then she will do whatever she can to protect you, and if you are an enemy, then be somewhere else if you want to live.

/Magnus

Last edited by Magnus Bergqvist; 11-26-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

i think i may need to use her as a NPC in my game when it returns from hiatus. :>

i'm curious about the choice of glaive over halberd: ? also surprised by putting the 15 in CON rather than STR.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

I thought a glaive looks cooler and is more sensible outdoors. Halberds feel too much city watch while a glaive is more like a naginata.

The reason for 15 in con was to make unarmoured fighting better (that was before I checked what armour she could use). Besides, the extra hitpoints gives her the ability to stay in n the fight longer.

If we had lvled up, I would have taken Wolf as the totem for lvl 6 for the tracking ability.

/Magnus

Last edited by Magnus Bergqvist; 11-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Totem of the Bear and unarmored fighting really demand a high Con above all things, including Str. You're a hit point sink. That's your purpose.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Henchman for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Totem of the Bear and unarmored fighting really demand a high Con above all things, including Str. You're a hit point sink. That's your purpose.
Especially when raging, given that you only take half damage...

Btw, I noticed I miscalculated the AC, that is now fixed.
I also think that at higher levels, the feats Great Weapon Master and Mobile would be quite useful. The first for being able to do more damage, the other for getting 10 extra feet of move, and that way can move around the battlefield to get to more enemies while the rage lasts.

/Magnus