CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhisper View Post
my profession is largely dependent upon the notion that one can tempt people out of full-time employee (FTE) status into contract gigs. the money is straight-up better.

...the downside of course is having to pay for your own benefits in the vast majority of cases and often not getting paid time off. and of course since we have the worst medical care practices in the developed world...

reasons why recruiters drink #74903240398120398740321
I have:
176 hours/yr of vacation
80 hours/yr of sick time
24 hours/yr of personal time
8 paid holidays.

The money is going ot have to be awfully good to beat that. I'm not going to reach retirement and wish I'd worked more. Maybe earned more, but not worked more.

Last edited by Ischade; 02-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischade View Post
I have:
96 hours/yr of vacation
80 hours/yr of sick time
24 hours/yr of personal time
8 paid holidays.

The money is going ot have to be awfully good to beat that. I'm not going to reach retirement and wish I'd worked more. Maybe earned more, but not worked more.
Not sure I understand what the above means. It doesn't jive with your original post on this line of thought.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Ish - do you have to stand on call rotation?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Not sure I understand what the above means. It doesn't jive with your original post on this line of thought.
That is the amount of time off I accrue per year. It's absurd. I love it, but it's absurd. I don't expect to have that anywhere else. The rollover policies are not less absurd than the amount I get. If i were to stay at PPS that is why I'd stay.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

ischade, 12 days/vacation, 10 days sick, 3 days personal = 25 PTO days. that's what wall street gives after 5 years of service--you start at 20/year. i'm not counting holidays here: i'm confused on that one, most calendars i see have 10. had you started your career as a developer in financial services you'd already be rocking the 25, plus a higher salary, plus bonuses (much less than in the heydays of the 20th century--i once rec'd a 33% bonus and that was meh by the standards of the day, employee stock ownership plan, yadda yadda yadda.

we talked about this last week. you saw what the numbers are that i mentioned.

for some people, cash is priority #1. you are not such a person, and i respect that. i've known that for a long time. but there's a reason wall street's compensation is known as golden handcuffs.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is the amount of time off I accrue per year. It's absurd. I love it, but it's absurd. I don't expect to have that anywhere else. The rollover policies are not less absurd than the amount I get. If i were to stay at PPS that is why I'd stay.
I know that I live in Canada, but it's not that great. It's "ok". You clearly don't have children, because that's not a lot of sick days.

Then you originally said this:

Quote:
Yes. Right now the greatest impediment to progress in my life and my overall happiness is money. I'm in what is quite possibly as perfect a place in the US as can exist for me. Solidly blue state where my existence is protected and valued with amazing geography, cultural options, and climate. However I'm not the only person thinking that and if i want to stay here long term I need a serious step forward financially. At my current salary I make enough to have a 1 bd apartment forever and more or less nothing more. Living out my days here means becoming a homeowner and progressing my skills to the point where I can capably be an employee who telecommutes to wherever the systems that need my inputs are on the planet. Accomplishing those things means that I need a job that grows my skills and resume and salary to a point that does those things and closing in on 42 I need that job now and I need it for about 3-4 years to establish those chops so I can spend the next 20 years being that well paid badass. That's the long game I'm playing and these next few years are critical to setting up the whole thing. I'm willing, eager even, to be uncomfortable in the process of accomplishing those goals.
I still don't make the link between the two. You're talking/thinking about making money and "getting those chops" and less than three posts later you expound on the benefits that your low paying salary job gives you.

What is it that you want?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM
The unsullied one.

Quote:
I know that I live in Canada, but it's not that great. It's "ok". You clearly don't have children, because that's not a lot of sick days.

Then you originally said this:

I still don't make the link between the two. You're talking/thinking about making money and "getting those chops" and less than three posts later you expound on the benefits that your low paying salary job gives you.

Money is still a motivating factor and I am still job seeking. The time off pool is just the only benefit no one will be able to match. Locally every recruiter I've spoken makes an effort to caution me not to expect the same everywhere I've looked so far. The lack is not going to stop me, just commentary on my part.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM
The unsullied one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhisper View Post
ischade, 12 days/vacation, 10 days sick, 3 days personal = 25 PTO days. that's what wall street gives after 5 years of service--you start at 20/year. i'm not counting holidays here: i'm confused on that one, most calendars i see have 10. had you started your career as a developer in financial services you'd already be rocking the 25, plus a higher salary, plus bonuses (much less than in the heydays of the 20th century--i once rec'd a 33% bonus and that was meh by the standards of the day, employee stock ownership plan, yadda yadda yadda.

we talked about this last week. you saw what the numbers are that i mentioned.

for some people, cash is priority #1. you are not such a person, and i respect that. i've known that for a long time. but there's a reason wall street's compensation is known as golden handcuffs.
Out here I haven't seen anywhere, to include financial areas that start you out at more than 15 and most want to force you down to 10. .
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think - and she will certainly correct me if I'm wrong - that she is (like most of us) a person of conflicting and multi-faceted interests.

At her heart, I think she'd rather have the time. To be honest, so would I. Hence, even though she wants to be tempted away, and get the money that will allow her to buy the house and feather the nest, it's going to have to be a rather gilded cage for her to consider giving up the time.

Once I got to NY, time wasn't really an available option. If you work in IT, you are available at all hours and are expected to work hideous amounts of over time. So that sacrifice wasn't too painful because I didn't have a choice.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 02-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Relentless

I hear you, Origen, loud and clear as I heard her. It does sound like Ishade hasn't made the decision to go for it. I guess that I'm an "all-in" type of guy. Set your goal and do what you need to do it.

To get the kind of career building that she's talking about, money isn't the goal, it is the consequence. The goal is to connect with as many people (and impress them) as you job hop and go from one opportunity to the next. You also have to pick your opportunities too. I do believe that Ishade knows this too, which is confusing/perplexing me.

Tags
chat