CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > RPG Discussion Forums > Supers!

Supers! For discussion of all Supers RPGs, including V&V, M&M, Champions, etc.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

DSumner has a spectacular aura aboutDSumner has a spectacular aura aboutDSumner has a spectacular aura about
Default Blackwyrm Games the Algernon Files

The Algernon Files is a very well done series of books produced by Blackwyrm Games in support of 1st and 2nd edition M&M, as well as Champions. The material, presented in the books, can easily be convert over to another system with a little work on the part of any GM. In addition to the actual books, Blackwyrm provides a lot of extra goodies online. Everything from benchmark tables (so you can see how the various characters stack up against each other), to free full color artwork, depicting every character detailed in the books. They also post several very good looking PDF previews so you can get an idea of how the book is laid out. Plus, the book's primary author Aaron Sullivan, has continued to post free character updates, additional background info on the TAF universe, and ideas on how the characters can be integrated into the "official" M&M universe of Freedom City. If you're looking for a well written book for use in your supers game, I'd suggest picking up a copy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Blackwyrm Games, they publish a variety of material for various gaming systems, primarily D20, HERO, and True 20. The Algernon Files was originally published as part of the "Superlink" program, where Green Ronin Games, the publisher of Mutants and Masterminds, allows other game companies to produce products in support of M&M through and open license.

For those of you who'd like to take a peak, click here - http://www.blackwyrm.com/Products.htm for a list of their other products. And here's a link to their online freebies and previews - http://www.blackwyrm.com/Extras.htm
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

DSumner has a spectacular aura aboutDSumner has a spectacular aura aboutDSumner has a spectacular aura about
Default Algernon Files 3.0

For those of you playing 3rd edition of Green Ronin Games' Mutants and Masterminds, Blackwyrm Games is going to be publishing an updated/revised version of their Algernon files series of books. The book's author, Aaron Sullivan has posted a bit of information, and some preview artwork, on his website.

http://www.aaronsullivan.net/2013/09/algernon-lives/

http://www.aaronsullivan.net/2013/11...w-art-rolling/

Here's a few pics of some of the featured Villains.

Bloodstar

Blackbone

Boneyard

"Death is certain, life is not."
Old 11-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

A bit of info from the author on his plans.

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

Thatís really very flattering. No, seriously. It warms the trap-laden cockles of my blackened, withered little heart. Especially considering how long itís been since a new Algernon Files product has been on the shelves.

Despite some finished art and my constant chugging through write-up after write-up, the project is still actually in its early stages and a lot of decisions still have to made because of scheduling and financial factors. Blackwyrm is the funding source ultimately, and RPG materials are always risky. Art is expensive, as is printing, and the market is tremendously unpredictable. I think there will probably be a Kickstarter campaign.

I think.

Doesnít mean it will actually happen, just means itís a possibility.

Dave would seriously like a physical product to take to Gen Con 2014. Doesnít mean it will actually happen, just means itís a goal weíre working toward.

There might be two volumes, or it might be a better idea to break the material out as numerous smaller volumes (12 volumes of 25 pages each would be a MUCH smaller risk than a single 300 page monster, for one extreme example). Yeah, thereís that much material; currently, my work list fluctuates around 96-100 entries comprising close to two hundred characters, with slightly more than half of those entries being characters or teams previously undetailed.

Doesnít mean it will actually happen, just means itís a under consideration.

Things I can tell you:

There will be some characters and material previously alluded to in my scattered postings over the years. Now, in all frankness, I work in weird ways. Ideas for characters and scenarios and other material are always coming to me. Always. Whether I want the stuff to or not. I keep several notebooks where I write all this stuff down. Over the years, as other projects for other companies have come up, in and among the original-to-that-specific-project stuff I dream up then and there for whoever is paying me, occasionally idea-shaped holes that previously existing stuff in my head fits into pop up and Iíve parsed out those ideas to fit those holes as I felt appropriate. That means that, yes, some originally Algernon Files -intended material has shown up in other companiesí products over the years (Paragons and Threat Reports from Green Ronin, the upcoming Rogues, Rivals, and Renegades from Vigilance Press, for just a few examples). Some ideas have changed over time, or Iíve re-assessed how some connections and narratives needed changed for a variety of reasons. Just because I mentioned a character as attached to some set of details back in 2006 or so doesnít mean that a lot of things in my ideas for that character havenít changed in the intervening years. As the brief opening fiction will starkly show, thereís been an Eventô in the background that lets me tweak and revise to my heartís content.

No, not Nu52-brand revisionismó unlike DCís editors, I actually like and respect the material I use, and I see no reason to cater to the lowest common denominator by cranking up gratuitous tits, ass, clay feet, general tawdry sordidness, and mutilations (lord but Geoff Johns has some very disturbing preoccupations).

Itís villains (and rivals and other complications) only. And there have been some changes to some of the recurring characters. Why? Some elements, in retrospect, donít work for me or my ďvisionĒ (a pretentious word, but still accurate) of that character any more. Again, in all frankness, Iím unlikely to ever actually compile a self-contained setting book in all its glory. That project just doesnít inspire me. So, in an effort to make things more adaptable to those GMs and players who use existing settings, Iím tweaking text and details of recurring characters to make them more easily fit in to ďUndefined Setting X.Ē Iím specifically modifying descriptions and background so we no longer have specific ties to existing NPC heroes and heroic NPC organizations. You want to have been the original sparring partner and recurring nemesis for Villain X instead of Speed Demon or Hardcore? Go for it. Now, the text will leave that spot open for you. Characters appearing for the first time (and there are many) will be presented in the same fashion. Think in terms of a soft reboot that gently (I hope) excises NPC heroes from the mix, cleans up some messy details in existing backgorunds, and overall just presents fresh and very usable shiny NPCs for you to enjoy. Thatís why the book is aimed at being an adversary compilation. The goal is that every character or team presented is available for your GM (or you if youíre the GM) to use to complicate PC lives in entertaining ways with only the bridging material you choose to use and a minimum of fuss. If other characters are mentioned in a write-up, theyíre also in the book so you donít have to fill in work to make use of them. No space is wasted on heroes youíll never need and that your GM will likely never use. GMs donít really need new heroes to steal PC spotlights or page time anyway. They do need a deep bench of interesting people to have thrown at them in a variety of ways. Maybe, if the Kickstarter route is pursued, NPC hero write-ups may be a stretch goal. But currently, its people that present obstacles for your heroes to overcome and you now know the reasons why. (Also, I needed the page space. So. Many. Entries.)

Cool new art. Alex has really thrown himself into re-envisioning some of the older characters that Derrick originally did, and his art for the new guys and old alike just rocks so damn hard. I find it difficult to choose favorites because I like everything heís producing. Each entry will get usable backgrounds and descriptions aimed specifically at helping GMs and players integrate the NPC in question into a campaign regardless of setting, including plot hooks. Pretty 3rd edition stats will be there in what I hope is a clean, uncluttered, and easily usable fashion. Also, thanks to Jon and James being such swell fellas, I even have permission for the occasional sidebar giving advice on using this and that character in Emerald or Freedom City (Green Ronin), or Beacon City (Vigilance).

As decisions are finalized and the project progresses, Iíll try to keep this thread updated (emphasis on ďtry,Ē as Iím an infrequent visitor here about and a disgustingly busy guy regardless) though I will always keep my own website current with any available new there (no new posts regarding TAF 3.0 means no new news). Once I know better what format will get used, Iíll likely start posting the list of characters being included (per book or volume).

Again, thanks for the interest, and I hope the final product doesnít disappoint.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Here's the lastest updated Aaron posted, and another piece of preview art.

Quote:
The Official Handbook of Blah, Blah, BlahÖ
Posted on January 23, 2014

Almost forgot, I do have a couple of pieces of news I can report Ė format and an additional product.

After a lot of discussion (and I do mean a lot), weíve decided to go the route of individual volumes numbering between 12 to 20 entries each, depending on how the layout shakes out. This makes the scheme manageable (I have about 230 entries planned out numbering over 400 characters all told), so that will keep things flowing over the next few years reliably at nice quarterly chunks in the slightly less than 50 pages each range. Affordable, digestible, and a sane amount of work. More discussion there once we have a finalized layout.

Also, weíre putting together a small product tentatively called Juvenile Injustice (JI) to coincide with the release from Green Ronin of a 3e version of Hero High. JI will include three sections, covering

[1] How to run teen villains (written by the inestimable Jack NorrisÖgo on, try to estimable himÖI dare ya)

[2] The Winters Academy for the Exceptional Student (written by me with some additional student body provided by a few brave volunteers Ė more word later as stuff rolls in)

and

[3] The Seven Sins (a newbie team of villains who all recently graduated the Winters Academy together)

As usual, as I have news to throw at ya about any of this, Iíll run here and air all the dirty laundry. Youíre welcome.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Here's the latest from Aaron's blog.

Quote:
News Break
Posted on March 6, 2014

Okay. I have an update. Yay.

Draft is finished and in the hands of the editor. Check.

Art is finished and in. Well, except for the cover. Check.

Now, on to post-editing and then to layout.

I continue to think highly of Jon, James and others who have gone through the Other-Than-Writing stuff on theses before. Sheesh. Youíre never done.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

And the Algernon Files Kickstarter is live.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ernon-files-30

Last edited by DSumner; 07-05-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

Default Sample PDFs

Here are a couple of sample PDFs

Apparation - http://www.blackwyrm.com/ks/Apparition.pdf
Blackbone - http://www.blackwyrm.com/ks/Blackbone.pdf

Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

And here's the latest from Aaron Sullivan, the author of the series.

Quote:
If everything goes to plan (fingers crossed) we'll be able to put out everything I've outlined on my many precious spreadsheets and filled notebooks detailing... these are 2 of 30 volumes comprising 300 entries and 642 characters. And that's not even counting the supplements outside the series proper, like TAF: JUVENILE INJUSTICE, which details The Winters Academy, its faculty and most of its student body, as well the villain team formed by several of its recent graduates, The Seven Sins. Adding in the supplements, that's north of another 180 entries, and somewhere around another 250 characters.

Just doing the math, the characters who are new edition versions of ones we had 1st/2nd edition write-ups for barely makes it into the 10-15% mark.

Of course, all that depends on Blackwyrm getting the money to start and continue the series. :-)

Old 07-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

And a here's a link to the Vigilance Press podcast where Dave Mattingly and Aaron Sullivan talk about the Algernon Files.

http://vigilancepress.podbean.com/e/...0-kickstarter/

Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

More preview art.

Brother Basilisk

Carnelian

Charlatan