CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
Only somewhat, but I would also be saying that the straight man has less interest in rescuing a male child, which is clearly valid. A man may attempt to rescue anybody under the right circumstances, but sex is going to be a motive quite often. And that may be direct or indirect.

I have saved lives. Men, women, and children. Never, not once, has their sexuality been even on the radar, much less relevant.

I know people that have saved lives. Police, Firemen, EMT's and others. Straight, gay, and bi. Not one, ever, has mentioned sexuality or lack thereof as part of the decision process to save lives. This entire line of reasoning dishonors those people. They sacrifice their time, their blood, and sometimes their sanity to save lives. It is, in every way, morally reprehensible.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baelfyre View Post
I have saved lives. Men, women, and children. Never, not once, has their sexuality been even on the radar, much less relevant.

I know people that have saved lives. Police, Firemen, EMT's and others. Straight, gay, and bi. Not one, ever, has mentioned sexuality or lack thereof as part of the decision process to save lives. This entire line of reasoning dishonors those people. They sacrifice their time, their blood, and sometimes their sanity to save lives. It is, in every way, morally reprehensible.
I really can't say it any better than this.

I have no idea what planet David is living on. First responders are human. Sometimes they don't run into the burning building. But those that do are almost never motivated by nookie.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
origen quoth:
i have no idea what planet david is living on.
Quote:
every other non-david forumite quoth in unison:
so say we all.
in case the point was missed.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
I have no idea what planet David is living on.
Maybe Hitcher could give us all directions?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

David Argall is an evil overlordDavid Argall is an evil overlordDavid Argall is an evil overlord

Quote:
So what is the motivation?
One obvious one is money. You may claim that idea is reprehensible too, but the simple fact of saving a minimum of 6 lives, and likely a multiple of that would mean you are/were almost certainly being paid to save lives. And we read often enough of lifesavers going on strike for higher wages. We may say they have other motives as well, but money is clearly one motive.
More generally, it is a clear point that our actions are dominated by self-interest. have you ever refused your paycheck? or even taken a job without asking the pay? All those jobs were also benefiting people, but if it didn't benefit you, you were gone despite that benefit.

Quote:
This entire line of reasoning dishonors those people. They sacrifice their time, their blood, and sometimes their sanity to save lives. It is, in every way, morally reprehensible.
And reprehensible does not mean inaccurate. Rather the reverse actually. The time spent morally denouncing something is time not spent saying it is wrong.

But going back to Gentile, what motive do we have for him that is not suspect? if not outright absurd?

David Argall