CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Beginnings.

I've mentioned here and there that my current position has not been the most rewarding in the world.

This is mostly driven by my current boss and how weathervane-like his approach to his intentions and directions are.

I'm having a hard time translating his changing priorities into stable orders to my team. Since my focus is networks and tends to have a large ramp up time to deliver (as any changes can impact and affect other areas, we need to be fairly meticulous in our delivery). Changing your mind a lot doesn't help keeping the team focused and delivery driven.

There's only so many times you're ok to scrap the last 2 days worth of efforts because things change and still give 110%. There's a time where you just coast and wait for the next change.

--

So what do I do next? I've had some people give me some advice and it was well taken. It got me thinking about my situation and what I wanted to change in it.

We (my darling wife and I) have had many conversations about moving, as the house is a bit of a financial anchor. Moving locally isn't a financially viable solution. The house market is stupid here (as Chim can surely attest). Even going to far "suburbs" isn't worthwhile.

So that leaves us with moving out of the area.

6 weeks ago, we found a place that would:

1) Fit our financial goals (enabler for other things)
2) Still give us the healthcare that will provide for me and my daughter (Quebec is out)
3) Allow us to change our lifestyle as we want it. More focus on the family, less commute, financial freedom.

We're moving to Ottawa. We just sold the house here (hoped for more, but much faster than expected, so all good) and are looking for one over there, we have 2-3 contenders.

My wife has a temp contract job at the moment that is work from home. So she'll cover things while I'm in transition. I have a bunch of feelers out there, and I expect to have a few bites soon.

The kids are ok with all this, surprisingly enough. Goes to show that they are just as resilient as we can be.

Fingers crossed. Excited, but also scared shitless. gotta love life.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

that's exciting news man. fingers crossed for a smooth and fast transition into a better opportunity!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed.

/Magnus
Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Resident Wizard

Windhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlordWindhaven is an evil overlord

Good luck. And here's hoping that the move is a move up.

As a permit holder, one of your goals should be to never have a law named after you

"Remember, the pen is mightier than the sword!"
"Tell you what. You, me, dark alley. You bring the pen."
Old 10-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Stephane. I know that’s been coming for a long time. You’re a wizard, and like most wizards you will land on your feet.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

And after Origen's comment I wish you a successful feather fall
Old 10-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Flykicking Dutchman

Pruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to behold

Good luck!

Remember me, not in days of pain and suffering.
Remember me in the shining sun when I could still do everything.
-- For my dad
Old 10-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute

I pray for the best for you Stephane!

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned in the chat thread, we've made an offer on a house in the National Region. It's got everything that we had been looking for: house size, pool and large backyard, fairly well maintained if not completely redone.

So we are all set to move at the end of next month. I'm just waiting on finding an actual job.

On that front, what just happened? We've made the news with a large amount of layoffs of head office staff.. Guess who made that list? Yup, my boss.

So now I'm reporting to a new boss (someone I've reported to before, so he's a known entity and I'm fine with that). What am I to do?

I'm looking at extending my stay while I'm looking. Maybe rent a small place and "work from home" a couple of times a week until I find something closer to the new home.

I swear things can be inconvenient.