CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Default A delicate medical subject...

Not sure if this is a TMI thread, but Haze suggested I post it as a example/warning to other guys.

Friday night, I had a bit of pain in my left testicle for no apparent reason. It wasn't severe, but it felt like the day after being kicked in the groin. No swelling or visible indications of what might've caused it, and no lumps or irregularities when I checked. Just very sore and tender. I've had no fever or nausea or other symptoms, so this was somewhat perplexing.

Saturday morning, it was still tender, but tolerable. It being a weekend and not an emergency, I didn't bother going to A&E (the ER for us Yanks). Sunday, it was still the same all day. Yesterday, it was better when I woke up, so pretty much ignored it all day while we painted the hallway. Unfortunately, all the stretching and balancing and perching precariously over the stairwell to reach the far corners of the ceiling seemed to have aggravated it again. As Monday was a bank holiday here, I waited to call the doctor still, it not really being a life-threatening emergency.

I've had a couple of fairly sleepless nights worrying what it might be however. Thoughts of cancer and other serious maladies came to mind, and Haze did her best to calm and comfort me (despite how I've aggravated her with the house painting).

I made an appointment with the doctor this morning and was seen fairly quickly. After a thorough (and uncomfortable) examination, the doctor advised I likely have an epididymal cyst, which is fairly common and is treatable. Unfortunately, I came away feeling a bit more tender and sore after having my bits manhandled... But at least I have a diagnosis and most of my worries have been addressed. Worst case scenario is a very minor surgery to correct the problem, but it will probably be unnecessary. <Whew>

I'm waiting to have an ultrasound to confirm, but that will be a few weeks before I can go, and it'll give time for the meds to do their work. In the meantime, I've been prescribed antibiotics and a regimen of over the counter pain killers to help. The antibiotic prescribed is Ciprofloxacin, which I've had before for my diverticulitis and when I stepped on a rusty nail a few years ago. Unfortunately, I remember the side effects of dizziness and drowsiness I had. =P I feel like I'm leaning to the right even though I'm sitting straight up, and I've got that nasty metallic taste in my mouth. Ick.

Anyhoo, I guess the moral is, go see the doctor if you've got an unexplainable pain. At the very least, it'll give you peace of mind and allow you to focus on what needs to be done, rather than worrying about what it might be...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...

Last edited by Rhakir; 08-30-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I bring out my Chuck

Grendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud ofGrendel has much to be proud of

Thanks Rhak. Opening up like that ... took balls.

Solid advice though. Never ignore your body. It is always telling you things. Right now, mine is telling me to stop drinking diet soda. Then it promises to make the caffeine headaches go away.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

rhak, as you know from discussions elsewhere, i'm an advocate of getting things checked out early & often, esp as regards body parts that are rich in nerve endings. good call, glad you made the appointment.

nice to see you again, incidentally. :>
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Rhak: Ouch.. Hope you have a quick recovery.

/Magnus
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

I wish life came with a manual for figuring these things out.

I, for one, really appreciate your story, Rhak. I might very well have ignored the same pain.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
COTSBOE

You know, this account sort of freaks me out in that weird, untimely sort of way. I have a consultation scheduled for a vasectomy tomorrow morning, and now in addition to all of my relevant fears about that my inner hypochondriac is going to start whispering about epididymal cysts.

Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
tony quoth:
why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
if i were a different sort of person, i'd so sig this.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the story. I appreciate your sharing it.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing. I guess we are all getting old enough that we see the merit of swapping this kind of story.. That is probably the more scary part of the whole deal.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 AM
pls

I say we start a March For Guys' Junk to raise awareness!