CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Hagelrat

Default A new What are you reading thread.

Because the old one is a little long now and I can't remember where I read up to.

So, what are you all reading now and what is in your reading pile for Christmas?

I am reading Laughing Boy's Shadow, which is grim and wonderful, by Steve Savile.
I am also looking forward ot getting stuck into Necropolis and David Gemmell's Legend which I have ever read.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Anthraxus

I'm currently reading The Tommyknockers by Stephen King. I should finish that by Christmas and will hopefully be getting Vanished to read after that.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Harper

I am just finishing The Mermaid's Madness by Jim Hines. It's very good!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Sakutian is on a distinguished road

I'm reading Dragons of the Hourglass Mage and Strange Brew at the moment. Dragons of the Hourglass Mage is fantastic so far if anyone else was thinking of taking a peek at it.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

I'm sort of reading the Lord of the Isles series by David Drake. Overall, while I liked the first two books, I'm finding the third rather meh. Before that, I read his Belisarius series, and looked up some of the actual history surrounding Belisarius and Justinian with the idea of possibly using it in my Trans-Dimensional campaign I run with the Ho3G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Currently reading "The Apothecary Rose" by Candace Robb, and "totally weird and wonderful words" by Erin McKean, and rereading a Swedish bok about self-esteem. Ordered by my boss to do the latter one....

/Magnus
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

I meant to put both The Stand and Salem's Lot on my e-book before I left home, but I forgot to.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "23 Hours", David Wellington's latest book in the series that started with "13 Bullets". The series then progressed to "99 Coffins" and "Vampire Zero". I have to say, as much as I loved "13 Bullets" as a refreshingly different take on vampires, one in which they are truly monsters, I'm becoming disappointed. "13 Bullets" was pure awesome. "99 Coffins" was pretty good, but definitely coasted somewhat on the coolness of its predecessor. "Vampire Zero" should have been the last book and it could have wrapped up nicely there. "23 Hours" has a killer premise and actually promised to wrap things up in style, but ultimately, for me, failed to deliver. I had some quibbles with Wellington's portrayal of martial arts in the story (something that likely won't be a deal-breaker for many -- just a bit of inauthenticity that rankled me a bit), but the real sin is that the book has no resolution. It just sets up another book. Meh. I'm done with it, methinks. I can't recommend "13 Bullets" highly enough, but I have to say, I don't think the succeeding books live up to the first. I think that the model established by the first just isn't sustainable, with the remaining books basically being progressively less exciting, less frightening iterations of the first.

I'm also reading "The Strain", by Guillermo Del Toro (yes, that dude!!) and Chuck Hogan. This is another vampire book, running more off of a disease model, drawing a lot from ideas and theme's that Del Toro established in "Blade 2". It's not bad -- no sexy, seductive vampires (yay!), but somehow, it seems more like explication than entertainment. The authors are saying "Look at my cool idea!" (and to be fair, the ideas are pretty cool), rather than using cool ideas to evoke and provoke. This is definitely a case of too much telling and not enough showing. Not bad, but not great either.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
whitetrash

Talking

Reading The Black Company book II of The Books of The south Dreams of steel....
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash View Post
Reading The Black Company book II of The Books of The south Dreams of steel....
I've read seven or eight of the Black Company series. The tone doesn't change much, but the characters and the focus change really, really quickly as you go on. The first three stick together somewhat, I think, since they're all part of the same "campaign."

That said, I love some of the badguys' descriptions.
Quote:
Quote: