CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Fan Forums > Greywalker

Greywalker Unofficial fan forum for the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Despite the sad lack of a paper version, I swiped my wife's Kindle after she got that version.

Spoiler-laden opinions of the stories.

The Dresden book: Awesome! I love seeing Michael, even if he's no longer 'in action' and Harry's conversation with the archangel was a great way to end the story.

Nightside: Though I love Simon R. Green, this story felt way too predictable to me. I also felt like it was supposed to take place before the last several novels, since John Taylor seemed rather underpowered, and there wasn't even a mention of Suzie Shotgun.

Greywalker: Still in the middle of it right now! But the evil brujo in the graveyard has my interest. [edit] speaking of the Kindle version, some editor failed: when the twins appear, there's a lovely boondoggle: "No one had come for them in a long time and they were lonely - was I are lative of theirs?" *sigh* silly editors, Spell Check is not perfect! [/edit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?

Last edited by BlueNinja; 04-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Also:

Goooood doggy ... *backs away slowly*
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't very happy with the Dresden story in this collection. It was a good read, for sure, but Butcher was a bit heavy-handed with the "moral" of the story. In fact, I think this is true of all four stories, enough to make me wonder if it was something the editor asked for or wanted from the authors.

Neither Simon Green nor Thomas Sniegoski managed to convince me to read any of their other books. Those of you who are familiar with their work, any comment to that? Do these stories represent their usual style or, like with Butcher, is there enough of a difference to warrant a second try on another, better book or story?

On this forum, this may be a dangerous admission, but I hadn't read a Harper Blaine story before. It was a good enough read that I've added "Greywalker" to my buy list.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Neither Simon Green nor Thomas Sniegoski managed to convince me to read any of their other books. Those of you who are familiar with their work, any comment to that? Do these stories represent their usual style or, like with Butcher, is there enough of a difference to warrant a second try on another, better book or story?
I don't know about Sniegoski, but the Simon R. Green story is definately sub-par for the Nightside series. I'd recommend either the first Nightside book Something From the Nightside, or the Hawk and Fisher stories found in Swords of Haven and Guards of Haven. All of his novels have a sort of tragedy feeling to them, and he's heavy on the awesome-and-awful-things-bigger-and-badder-than-humanity (which is usually good).

The Butcher story I felt was pretty in keeping with the rest of the Dresden stories.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Harper

Convert for the Win!

I recently had to re-read all of my books and at the moment, I really hate the first one--I find it annoying and I don't like the way the characters come across in that one at all. Bleh. Not to say I don't want people to read it, but I think I needed a few more edits.... I liked each book successively more than the previous one (though probably because I did fewer and fewer stupid writer tricks.)

I still like Third Death of the Little Clay Dog a lot, however.

I was kind of disappointed with Simon's--I think he's usually a little tighter.

And I like Jim so I would probably be reasonably happy with anything since I can sort of hear the Jim-voice reading aloud and that makes it all good, even when it's not his best work.

Tom's still a new voice for me. Not having a background in the Christian mythos I get a little lost in the details, but I like his prose and complexity of character he presents.