Thread: Monster phsyics
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Harper

One of the difficult things with this sort of series is establishing rules and sticking to them so the characters don't become superheroes who can do anything and never take a scratch. I'm not entirely sure of all the limits and exceptions but there are some pretty strict rules and I stick with them. The characters make mistakes and are wrong quite frequently, but I don't have that luxury: smart readers like you guys will come along and point to the book and say "Hey, you messed up right here!" and I would have to say "oh... yes. You're right." And I so hate to be wrong... (Not that I haven't been....)

Vanished has some special cases for limitations to the system so that Harper will never become a superhero or an all-powerful whatsit. She'd be impossible to live with if I didn't put limits on her. And of course, the books would be boring if there were no challenges or dangers.

I do have to state definitively that Quinton is not and never will be a werewolf. Because I don't want Harper to turn into the sort of heroine who shags anything with fangs.