View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "23 Hours", David Wellington's latest book in the series that started with "13 Bullets". The series then progressed to "99 Coffins" and "Vampire Zero". I have to say, as much as I loved "13 Bullets" as a refreshingly different take on vampires, one in which they are truly monsters, I'm becoming disappointed. "13 Bullets" was pure awesome. "99 Coffins" was pretty good, but definitely coasted somewhat on the coolness of its predecessor. "Vampire Zero" should have been the last book and it could have wrapped up nicely there. "23 Hours" has a killer premise and actually promised to wrap things up in style, but ultimately, for me, failed to deliver. I had some quibbles with Wellington's portrayal of martial arts in the story (something that likely won't be a deal-breaker for many -- just a bit of inauthenticity that rankled me a bit), but the real sin is that the book has no resolution. It just sets up another book. Meh. I'm done with it, methinks. I can't recommend "13 Bullets" highly enough, but I have to say, I don't think the succeeding books live up to the first. I think that the model established by the first just isn't sustainable, with the remaining books basically being progressively less exciting, less frightening iterations of the first.

I'm also reading "The Strain", by Guillermo Del Toro (yes, that dude!!) and Chuck Hogan. This is another vampire book, running more off of a disease model, drawing a lot from ideas and theme's that Del Toro established in "Blade 2". It's not bad -- no sexy, seductive vampires (yay!), but somehow, it seems more like explication than entertainment. The authors are saying "Look at my cool idea!" (and to be fair, the ideas are pretty cool), rather than using cool ideas to evoke and provoke. This is definitely a case of too much telling and not enough showing. Not bad, but not great either.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln