View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't hate the TV series...but it had little if nothing to do with the Dresden Files books.

For the most part Butcher's done way keeping the series building on itself without things looking like plot coupons. (With the possible exception of owing favors to a certain supernatural entity, which he cashed in on in the last book.)

There's a few things I really like about Dresden:

1. The charecter's are reasonably flawed. They weren't built using White Wolf's merits and flaws to balance each other. Some charecters are more flawed than others.

2. Harry does not wear the white hat. Harry is one of the more "real" protagonists I've read in a long time...despite being a wizard.

3. Rather than trying to recreate Dashell Hammet, the PI side of the world seems more inspired by Robert B. Parker. The dialog works.

As I said, I think he kind of mailed in Small Favor, as he's gotten busy with other stuff, including a pure fantasy series which it seemed to me was what he wanted to be writing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.