CriticalFumble.net Forums

CriticalFumble.net Forums (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/index.php)
-   Greywalker (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Spotted in the Wild contest (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19487)

Harper 05-31-2009 05:34 PM

Spotted in the Wild contest

OK, time for silly little contests.

Since the first three Greywalker books are being re-released in the US in mass market paperback, I challenge you to "spot them in the wild" and post a photo, or a link to a photo, here that shows the new book "in the wild".

First 5 people to post a photo or link of any one title in the series gets a $10 Amazon gift certificate. First person to post a photo of the mass market at a non-bookstore gets an extra prize (I'm still deciding on this item--something silly, rest assured.)

These are the rules:
  1. The book must be one of the new small format (mmp) editions from Roc.
  2. The photo must be your own original photo (no photoshopping or using someone else's photos, hotlinking to someone else's photo, etc.), it must show the book where you spotted it "in the wild", and you must describe where you spotted it.
  3. Only one award per person, though you may post as often as you want.
  4. A total of 5 prizes will be given for each book, total of 15 prizes in all.
  5. "Non-bookstore" shots include books spotted in places like grocery or drug stores, airport shops other than bookshops (newstands don't count as "bookstores" for this contest) and being read by stranger on the bus (no cheating here and taking a photo of someone with your copy, now.)
  6. No photos may be posted before the official release date (June 2 for Greywalker, July 7 for Poltergeist, August 4 for Underground)
  7. All winners will be announced on this forum thread. You must reply to this forum to claim your prize within 15 days of notification. If you do not reply, the prize will be prize will be awarded to the next eligible photo-poster.
  8. Any title may be posted at any time while this contest is still open.
  9. This contest will officially close when all prizes have been awarded or by 11:59 p.m. PDT, August 31 2009, whichever comes first. Closures for individual titles will be announced in this thread as they happen.

You can also follow updates on this contest on Facebook or Twitter

Although the mmp is being released only in the US so far as I know, I will send prizes anywhere in the world that the winning poster wants them sent.

Sakutian 06-03-2009 02:52 AM

I saw a ton of copies on the shelf at the bookstore down the street but by the time I returned with a camera they had all sold. It only took me like thirty minutes.

Harper 06-03-2009 03:00 AM

All of them? Wow.

Sakutian 06-03-2009 04:51 AM

Yeah I didn't sit there and count them but I think they must have had like ten copies on the shelf and a few more in another section.

hlyshtbtmn 06-03-2009 12:27 PM

I was at Borders yesterday and saw three copies, so I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture. Hope the quality is ok.

And since only their spines were showing, I moved two of them around so that you could see their covers, and left them that way.

Here's the pic:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6194/photo0007mcv.jpg

Harper 06-03-2009 01:39 PM

Nice! You're the first person to post a photo, so definitely a gift certificate for you!

hlyshtbtmn 06-03-2009 07:24 PM

Awesome. So what do you need, my e-mail address?

And by the way, congrats on the re-release. I forgot to mention that in my last post. :grin:

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized I had a private message. Oops.

macbeaner 06-03-2009 10:43 PM

I saw it!

I actually found it in the new releases of the discount bookstore today!! :)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...r/Image135.jpg

Harper 06-04-2009 02:23 PM

Neat! Prize for you! I shall send you a PM here.

Sakutian 06-09-2009 10:47 PM

The bookstore got new copies of the book in this week but they wouldn't let me take a picture of them for some reason.

Kalzazz 06-12-2009 07:32 PM

Found it at Hastings

I also decided to buy it and read it last night (and was rather entertained to) since I figured why not, I should try this, especially with the contest and all being an added incentive

Sorry for the shaky cellphone photo . . . it gives it a more supernatural air maybe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...greywalker.jpg

Harper 06-12-2009 11:28 PM

Nifty! Pleased you enjoyed it Kalzazz. Send me your email and name through PM and I'll get your gift certificate out to you!

ceo 06-13-2009 09:09 AM

Yay! I can post now. :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/...5daf73b224.jpg

Made a trip to The Book Shop yesterday to pick up an order and found three copies of Greywalker! (And Caitlin Kittredge's Street Magic was on the shelf above, which I happily snagged.)

Actually, when I was there last week, several copies of all three books in various formats were on the shelf.

Harper 06-15-2009 03:18 AM

Cool! I'm glad you got in. send me your email address via PM or email and I'll get your gift certificate out to you!

Baelfyre 06-15-2009 03:25 AM

BTW, Harper? Very cool contest. Thanks loads for coming here.

Harper 06-15-2009 10:20 PM

I do try to make it fun. I will have to come up with more fun stuff eventually....

Maybe "design your own dust jacket" or "wear a book day" or not... ;)

Harper 06-19-2009 09:50 PM

Just for giggles, I found the book in the supermarket today along with those of a couple of friends, Caitlin Kittredge and Devon Monk. I think I scared the woman who was shopping in the aisle because I kind of squeaked.... :o

http://www.katrichardson.com/pix/Supermarket.jpg

Archemedes 06-19-2009 10:53 PM

No worries, Harper, I would have have probably done more than squeek if I saw my work at the supermarket. Fainting would be part of a long process that would be both embarrassing and scary (to the people who initially experienced the episode...laughter from the paramedics). I'll have to keep an eye out at all the places I go to see if I see a Greywalker novel.

Harper 06-23-2009 02:22 PM

I'll accept a photo that's just plain odd so long as it features the book. So, feel free to do something silly if you find one--so long as it doesn't cause any damage or get the police on your ass.

Harper 07-02-2009 04:54 PM

Hey guys, just a reminder, the next book, Poltergeist, is coming out as a small paperback on Tuesday, July 7, so, more chances to get a photo of "in the Wild" and win an Amazon gifty-card.

Also... we're still missing one Greywalker photo, so... if you spot it and post, the prize is yours. The sillier the situation, the better.

Kalzazz 07-02-2009 06:02 PM

Are you able to try and find Book 2 if you already found Book 1?

Harper 07-02-2009 10:35 PM

The rules do say "one award per person" so you can post, but having already won something, I'd have to hold off giving a second prize to the same person. Unless no one else posts for that book (or the photo's really super-spiffy.)

ScottBravesFan 07-03-2009 01:15 AM

I added it as a thumb nail on the post below I would have edited this post and added it as a thumb nail instead of a link but it won't let me add attachments to an edited post.

Harper 07-04-2009 03:08 PM

something has happened to your image....

ScottBravesFan 07-04-2009 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok it should work this time. I took this at my local Barnes and Noble they had a nice display of the mass market version in the center of the store on some display shelves. They also had the trade version on the regular Sci Fi shelf. I looked at Target but they did not have it out and our grocery store here does not carry very many books at all. I'll check the pharmacies next time I go.

Harper 07-07-2009 12:29 AM

Wow, right next to SJ Day! (hi SJ!) Nifty!

OK, prize for you Scott! Send me your name and email address via PM or email and I'll poke Amazon and make them give you a gift certificate. Woohooo! Thanks Scott.

ScottBravesFan 07-15-2009 03:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stopped by Barnes and Noble today and I saw their nice collection of copies of Poltergeist I even picked up a copy for myself as I have not read that one yet. I also took a picture if case you wanted to see.

Sorry if it is blurry but my cell camera is not that great.

rse2412 07-19-2009 08:01 PM

Any chance we can have a similar competition over here in the UK when the books come out here?

Rae

*feeling left out*

Harper 07-20-2009 05:44 PM

Totally! Spot 'em, shoot 'em, and send 'em in! But do make sure you post that the photo is UK, so I can send you an Amazon.uk gift cert. I know they don't look identical, but it's faster if you say where you took the photo.

rse2412 07-21-2009 07:42 PM

Ta Muchly.

Rae

*off to hunt the books with camera in tow*

BlueNinja 08-16-2009 09:31 PM

Hey Kat, my wife and I snapped a picture of Vanished at a B&N here in DC. It's up on her Facebook page. They put you on the bottom shelf of the new sci-fi/fantasy! Maybe because they were in alphabetical order.

Harper 08-18-2009 05:18 AM

Hey, yes I saw that photo! Tres cool. Thank you!

ceo 09-11-2009 12:20 PM

I already won a gift certificate, but I was at my local li'l bookshop and happened to spot this, thought I'd share:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2468/...e8cdea29c4.jpg

Poltergeist was facing out with a few copies behind it, but I think someone was checking out Underground and left it like that, which is what caught my attention initially.

rse2412 10-17-2009 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I know it has taken me a while and I have never posted here with a photo in the post so this may all go horribly wrong, but in the hope it does not here goes.

I found Poltergeist and Greywalker in Waterstones in Norwich in the Horror section!!!! I should add I don't live in Norwich my eldest son does. He went to Uni there (American History and Politics) and stayed on to live there as he likes it so much.

I then found Vanished in Borders also in Norwich in the Sci Fi section.

Harper, I know you said there would be an amazon.uk gift certificate if I won but is there any chance I could have a signed copy of Vanished instead? I understand if that is too problematic. I am just so glad I found the books on the shelves.

Rae

Harper 10-21-2009 06:31 AM

yeah I can do that. message or email me your address.

Anthraxus 10-22-2009 10:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Don't know if this contest is still going for US residents, but here are a couple copies that I found at my local Half Priced Books. It's the only retail bookstore I use.

That empty space to the left of the trade was were another copy had been the day before I took this picture. And there had been a copy of Underground with the others as well.

Harper 11-04-2009 09:32 PM

I've lost track to be honest...

Joos 11-04-2009 10:34 PM

Greywalker's Books in Singapore

2 Attachment(s)
Hello from Singapore :whacky044:

I read the Greywalker's books loaned from the Singapore library Woodlands Branch.

You can check out the list of all the Greywalker books here including copies of the first book in Chinese published in Taipei. From the links, one can see how many of the books are currently on loan and under reservation, hence their popularity.

http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/...en+16483+1+5+0

Attached images is a copy of "Vanished" with the Singapore Library (NLB) barcode sticker on its cover.

I note it has been sometime since the last entry although it will be nice to win the certificate. Nevermind if the contest is already over, just want to say hello as I enjoyed books so much.

Cheers.

Anthraxus 11-05-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper (Post 324693)
I've lost track to be honest...

Well, it's your call of course, but if I do qualify, I would be happy with a copy of Vanished (signed or not, your choice) as opposed to a gift certificate.