CriticalFumble.net Forums

CriticalFumble.net Forums (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/index.php)
-   Greywalker (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Favorite Character contest! (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16628)

Harper 01-01-2009 11:54 PM

Favorite Character contest!

Hi there faithful forum members!

I have 6 copies of the novella collection Mean Streets to give away, so I'm proposing a little contest which I hope will bring in some new blood and also give you guys a chance to win books!

Here's the deal:

Post a response to this thread saying who your favorite secondary character (can't be Harper) is in the Greywalker series, which book they are in, and why you think they are cool/bad/fun/scary/whatever. You can only have one "favorite" but you can discuss other people's posts and edit yours if you want. I'll read the posts and the comments and (with a little help from the comments and so on) I'll pick the winners and mail them a signed copy of the book. Signed by me, that is, since I doubt I'll be able to get the other authors to sign it. But I'll send them anywhere in the world.

All favorites must be posted to this thread by midnight, forum time (-8GMT) on January 16 (that's on the midnight when the 16th ends and the 17th begins) and you can only have one "favorite" post to your name but you can comment on as many as you wish. Yes, there's nothing to stop you from cheating by making a new log in and posting more, but why would you do that...?

Thing One 01-02-2009 01:40 AM

I want to talk about my favorite supporting character, but as you know :) I already am lucky enough to have an autographed copy of Mean Streets (The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog ROCKS).

I love Quinton. I have since he first appeared, and OMG Underground.... *sigh*
He is so intelligent, myserious, funny and is willing to carry Chaos in his pocket *grin*
I am soooo glad he is in Harper's life. He reminds me of some brilliant and odd people I have had the priviledge to know.

I can hardly wait to see what he does in future books.

(I just listened to the Audiobook of Poltergeist, and was so fascinated by the information Quinton provided on the seance room)

Harper 01-02-2009 03:54 AM

Quinton is always fun to write--he gets to dabble in fun stuff. Book 4 includes his attempts to build a "ghost detector." I can hardly wait to be finished and send it to the publisher. (bwahahaha)

NinaN 01-02-2009 03:53 PM

Will

i loved Will... (don't get me wrong i loved Quinton so much that when he and Harper finally got together i had to go shag my own partner for various hours to make the desire fade)

but i loved Will. his beautiful carefree attitude. his innocence. his disappointment in Harpers ability to be normal.

i adore his ability to live a normal life. how everything is so simple. his pleasure in antiques, his bond with Mickey. i'm jealous!

Deyaniera 01-02-2009 04:45 PM

my fave

My favorite character is Mara. I love her brightness, her quirkiness, her big heart, and her compassion.

I also love the fact that she lives with a ghost and doesn't mind it! That is just awesome. Oh, and her putting up with Ben rules, too! :D

--Kara

macbeaner 01-02-2009 06:05 PM

I have to admit. I love Quinton. I keep rooting that Harper will take an interest in him. Weird. Anyways, I always go for the techie geek and his shady past is intriguing. I look forward to learning more about him!

javacatz 01-02-2009 09:30 PM

Quinton. I really like his character and personality. Also, he's got such an intriguing past. And there is definitely a lot going on in that brain.

Runner-up for favorite would be Chaos. :-)

IYamVixen 01-02-2009 09:56 PM

My turn...

Mara is my favorite character. I have only had a chance to read GREYWALKER and POLTERGEIST and she has been excellent in both. I can only hope she is in the rest of the series. Mara doesn't take any crap, is a good mom. And the fact that she's a witch...well, speaks for itself.

Hagelrat 01-03-2009 07:29 AM

tricky, I have a little crush on Quentin, Will just bugged me, but one of my favourite characters is actually the deeply creepy and unpleasant Carlos. It's such a huge relief to see vamps being seriously unpleasant, not remotely sexy and utterly self serving. I wouldn't want him to be a focus of the books but his role in Greywalker was perfect and his position on the peripheral of the other books and Harper's life with the Grey is just right. I hope we get to see him in a bigger role again at somepoint. :sasmokin:

bigferret 01-03-2009 09:53 AM

Chaos is my favorite character. But then I am a little bias. Ferrets for me are the embodiment of joy. There is nothing like a weasel war dance to make you smile.

Now if I need a human, I love Quinton. He is just so quirky and smart. Harper asks him for the strangest things and he just rolls with it. I would love to be that easy going.

Mist 01-03-2009 05:39 PM

I have to agree with several others here, Quinton is my favorite character besides Harper.

I look forward to finding out more about him and how he ended up where he is. And I think he and Harper are a good fit. I think Harper really needs to have someone who knows about the Grey and understands she might be doing strange stuff.

Will was nice, but didn't seem to understand that there's more to Harper than meets the eye.

Harper 01-03-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagelrat (Post 250265)
... one of my favourite characters is actually the deeply creepy and unpleasant Carlos. It's such a huge relief to see vamps being seriously unpleasant, not remotely sexy and utterly self serving. I wouldn't want him to be a focus of the books but his role in Greywalker was perfect and his position on the peripheral of the other books and Harper's life with the Grey is just right. I hope we get to see him in a bigger role again at somepoint. :sasmokin:

You're not actually the first person to say that Carlos is interesting or a favorite. Just to be a little spoilery, Carlos has a very important part to play in Book 5, so you will be seeing more of him there. I can't guarantee it'll be nice... but he'll be there.

Hagelrat 01-04-2009 06:06 AM

very cool. :roll:

nerdgirl 01-04-2009 08:05 PM

Fav character

Carlos is my fav character. It is great to see vampires portrayed in this manner; mean, heartless and power hungry. I am stoked that he will be in the upcoming books as well.
(I also love Quinton and was really happy to see Will leave the scene!)

Sakutian 01-05-2009 09:33 PM

I'd have to go with Will, Quntion is great too of course, but Will just has something about him. He's fun and interesting to me, he plays the ordinary guy who is slowly being dragged into a world he can never really be part of or understand. Although he doesn't get the nice bonus of magical abilities or super powers, he's just expected to cope with it or be kept in the dark.

His always awkward and cutely bumbled by fate relationship with Harper always made me alugh and wince a bit. SSmehow it just worked.

There has only been one moment when I really and truly didn't like him in all of the books so far.

Amers3 01-05-2009 10:30 PM

Quinton

Quinton is my favorite character I love the mysteriousness of him. Of not knowing what he is about, is he part of Harper's new world or is he a human?

He was totally cool around the vampires and helping Harper with the ley lines, it makes you wonder how he got all of this magically knowledge, unless he was something magically himself.

Trying to think of other creatures that might fit into this world and might fit Quinton doesn't result in much. All I can think is Incubus but that doesn't sound right either. Either way I cannot wait to see what lies in Quinton's mysterious past.

Pogonip 01-06-2009 05:58 AM

Carlos, of course. He's good looking, has that magnetic personality (common to vampires,) strong, confident, intelligent, amusing. He's not needy. A few pints of red from time to time is all he needs. No cooking required. He's rich. He handles rejection well, probably because he doesn't really believe it, he thinks he'll eventually get what he wants. He has time. Of course, he's a total sociopath. Or is the current term "psychopath"? He keeps us wondering what's next. Will he help? What's in it for him?

That's why he's my favorite character, second to Harper, of course.

Brother Brian 01-06-2009 01:12 PM

It's kind of a tossup between Quinton and Ben.

Quinton is easy to love. He's socially...inept seems harsh but let's just say he's better with "stuff" than with people. He's a nerd. He's amazingly loyal, and is from first contact, when he really owed Harper nothing.

Ben's easy to miss. He isn't "hawt" like Will, as obviously useful as Quinton, as dangerous as Carlos, as cute and fluffy as Chaos, doesn't have "power" like Mara. But he's the guy who does what needs doing, be it keeping Rhino-boy from harm or doing the thankless task of research.

I can respect that.

BlueNinja 01-06-2009 05:25 PM

Ben is definately my favorite from the series. He has, well, nothing, compared to everyone else Harper runs around with - no magic, no supernatural abilities, no useful shady past, just the ability to read books (and control a small boy, which I wish I had). He's kind of like Giles from Buffy, but without the ability to fight. Yet despite that, he's always there with useful information and a sort of wistful I-wish-I-could-do-that sense that reminds me of myself.

Harper 01-06-2009 06:12 PM

Boy you guys are making this hard. How'm I going to pick with you all being so reasonable and clever...? I may be forced to randomize this... ;)

BlueNinja 01-06-2009 06:21 PM

*slips Harper some dice*

Harper 01-06-2009 06:24 PM

You, sir, are wicked....

Sakutian 01-06-2009 06:30 PM

If it makes it any easier I'll forfeit my chance, I already have a copy of Mean Streets coming my way so there's no need to be greedy.

Harper 01-06-2009 06:35 PM

Oh, don't worry about it. I always figure these things out. And you can always give a spare copy away or as a gift. I do personalize them as requested, not just "dear eBay winner..." ;)

Lora's Ghost 01-06-2009 10:30 PM

Favorite Character

I would love to say Quinton for all wonderful reasons that others have mentioned, but I would have to say Phoebe is my favorite from Poltergeist. I love her wit, her accent and her family (especially since they always want to "fatten" Harper up).
Phoebe is her own person, much like Harper, she has her own life and business and I admire her spirit above all things. She has heart and always wants to act in best interest of those she cares about. However, she is never one to triffle with and if you cross her you do so at your risk, just read the sign in her store.
"He Who Steals My Coat Gets Trashed"

Biggie McLargehuge 01-07-2009 12:59 AM

Chaos, most definitely. No one else can cause that level of destruction while looking so ridiculously adorable.

jbeaneii 01-07-2009 02:46 PM

I'm only 1/2 way through Poltergeist but I'd have to say Quinton hands down.
I work at MIT and the MacGyver type solutions he came up with for Harper in Greywalker reminded me of a lot of Grad students around here. As I've said I'm only 1/2 in 2nd book but I assume he'll be around for the 3rd and 4th too.
At least I hope so.

J

Sakutian 01-07-2009 03:07 PM

Wow it seems like everybody likes Quinton best, I figured Chaos would get more votes than him if nothing else.

jbeaneii 01-07-2009 04:55 PM

Q vs Chaos

I thought about Chaos, but I've never owned a ferret. A good friend used to have an albino ferret that would ride his Roomba around the house.

J

Harper 01-07-2009 09:40 PM

I just wish my ferret would even use the vacuum... he's so lazy!

Sakutian 01-07-2009 10:18 PM

Oh a roomba is a vaccum?! I've been thinking it was some sort of danicng exercise machine or something all. Haha cute little lazy ferret, isn't it good for them to be that way though? Lazy ferrets would seem less like to cause...well Chaos.

Ginger Lewis 01-09-2009 12:49 PM

It's so very hard to choose because there are some truly wonderful characters in these books, and all of them, even the unlikeable ones, are vibrant and real. I nearly picked Quinton, and I nearly picked Mara, but my favourite though, is Phoebe from Poltergeist.

Her warmth really shines through and I can practically hear her voice, with her dem's and dat's in her dialogue. Beneath the warmth and the obvious compassion she has for her friends and family, Phoebe is clearly an incredibly strong and independent-minded woman. Sure, she gets mad sometimes, but not for long, she doesn't let it eat at her or spoil her friendships.

I would love to have someone like Phoebe as a friend but I'd hate to have her as an enemy, lest she slaps an obeah-curse on me. :)

Harper 01-09-2009 11:54 PM

Hehehe... Phoebe was originally in the first book, but she didn't do much and the editor asked me to cut her to keep the book more focused on Harper's immediate problems. (Solis was also in the original drafts of Greywalker and met the same fate.) But you know Phoebe... she just doesn't take "no" for an answer, so I had to put her in and then she dragged her whole family along!

A lot of my minor characters start out in other places and migrate to their own book in time. A character in Vanished originally turned up in the first draft of Underground, but once again, he was just hanging out and making the story muddy, so... he got thrown out, but insisted on coming back for his own appearance in the next book. And of course there's Zip who showed up in Poltergeist and then had a bigger part in Underground--pretty typical.

Ben also started out as a tiny part and Mara was originally "just" his wife, but various demands of the story and editor changed that drastically. Now I'm very glad I let his invisible wife and perfect child have some actual screen time and foibles.

My friends and family also turn up in the books. Usually under their own names, but a few are disguised. It's easy to pick out some of the people I've "Tuckerized" by reading the acknowledgments but a few are incognito. However, contrary to popular belief, my mother does not appear in any of the books. My mother-in-law does, but not my mom. Or at least not yet, 'cause "never" is a loooooooong time....

Someone mentioned Dr. Skelleher recently and there's another character who changed. He originally had the part Ben fills in books, but I couldn't figure out how a young ER doctor actually had time for anything but his job, so... he got cut down to just the one scene.

eccentricred1 01-11-2009 10:55 PM

I think I may be the odd one out here but I'm a big fan of Fish! Part of it is definitely the name but I really liked his part of the idealistic forensic pathologist/ handy Native American guy in Underground... I really, really hope he shows up again!

Sakutian 01-11-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eccentricred1 (Post 253387)
I think I may be the odd one out here but I'm a big fan of Fish! Part of it is definitely the name but I really liked his part in underground... I hope he shows up again!

Fish is an awesome character and I really liked him as well, he's in the Mean Streets story too so that alone makes it worth taking a look at.

eccentricred1 01-11-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakutian (Post 253389)
Fish is an awesome character and I really liked him as well, he's in the Mean Streets story too so that alone makes it worth taking a look at.

Oh heck yes! Even more reason to seek a copy of Mean Streets!

Sakutian 01-11-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eccentricred1 (Post 253390)
Oh heck yes! Even more reason to seek a copy of Mean Streets!

*Nods vigirously* Yep! Plus it's justa really good story, I liked the way that Mrs. Richardson developed his character between Underground and the Mean Streets though. He grows in interesting ways.

eccentricred1 01-11-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakutian (Post 253391)
*Nods vigirously* Yep! Plus it's justa really good story, I liked the way that Mrs. Richardson developed his character between Underground and the Mean Streets though. He grows in interesting ways.

I can't wait! :3

Harper 01-12-2009 01:15 AM

Well. Now I'm so glad I didn't kill him off.

Sakutian 01-12-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper (Post 253418)
Well. Now I'm so glad I didn't kill him off.

What?! Fish was in danger of being killed off?! Noooooooooooo!