CriticalFumble.net Forums

CriticalFumble.net Forums (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/index.php)
-   Greywalker (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Vanished: Book 4 progress report (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15581)

Harper 10-31-2008 03:35 PM

Vanished: Book 4 progress report

Hi there!

Just a quick Halloween note to let you guys know that the fourth Greywalker novel, Vanished, is now on my editors's desks for review. Since this one takes place largely in London, both the US and UK editors are reviewing it together. I'm hoping to hear back from them late in November with a request for revision.

This is the standard procedure for publication, not a slam on the book. It's always hard to get the first draft perfect and this particular book had a lot of obstacles to overcome, including illnesses, the launch of another book, two other stories that needed writing, the loss of my agent and publicist and the illness and eventual death of one of my pets just this week. It's been rough, but the book was in on time and I think it's not bad.

It is the darkest book to date, however. Things get rather grim near the end, but since I'm under contract for two more after this one, it's obviously not the end.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a few days off to relax and catch up to personal business that got put off while the book was in its final writing rush before deadline. And, of course, there is a Harper Novella coming out in January in the collection Mean Streets which is headlined by Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green. (yay!)

Brother Brian 10-31-2008 04:49 PM

Congrats on getting the first draft done, and my deepest condolences on the loss of your pet.

BlueNinja 11-01-2008 12:13 AM

Awww. :(

Which ferret died?

Hagelrat 11-01-2008 05:53 AM

excited to find out what Harper makes of London. :)

Starhawk 11-01-2008 05:38 PM

I would love to hear you ramble on and on and on about what the publication process is really like.

I like to live vicariously through others the things that I have not experienced myself....

Harper 11-02-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueNinja (Post 234343)
Which ferret died?

Dexter. He was nine and had a nasty cancer, but he was a sweet little guy right up to the end. And we still have Taz, the fluff-butt.

Starhawk: The publication process is different for every writer, even those who are with the same publisher or agent. I've got a page up on my site about the timeline for my initial publication and I'd say the five years it took to get into print was about the middle of the experience range. (Can't say "average" since there really isn't one.)

Every book has some quirk to the writing or editing that will make it a new experience from the last one. So even when you get to be an old pro, you'll find whole new ways to be frustrated or excited or surprised. I'm more than glad to talk about the process and all that jazz, but I don't want to bore anyone--a lot of it's dull as wet toast.

Harper 12-05-2008 01:50 AM

Hey guys! Guess what I have...? And you're the first to see it!

The cover for Vanished: Greywalker #4 (click the image to see the full-size version.)

http://katrichardson.com/images/Vanishedsmall.jpg

What do y'all think?

Hagelrat 12-05-2008 06:45 AM

gorgeous. Do you get any say on your covers or do you just have to hope your publisher is going to get it right?

BlueNinja 12-05-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagelrat (Post 243027)
gorgeous. Do you get any say on your covers or do you just have to hope your publisher is going to get it right?

When Kat was in San Diego signing autographs for Underground, she talked about it a bit. Apparently she's got the same artist who does the Dresden books, but she gets little-to-no say in what the artwork cover will look like, because the publishers send a request out to the artist long before the writing process is done. I can't remember what his name is right now, but she did say she's talked to him once or twice about the covers. Did I get any of that wrong, Kat?

Brother Brian 12-05-2008 03:01 PM

Kat, is that how you envisioned Harper? Seems a bit...bustier than you described. :)